VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a VHS player to transfer old family movies to DVD. Every tape I have tried only plays for a few seconds and then shuts the machine down. I am definitely a newbie, don’t know anything about video. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I suspect it is some compatibility issue. You should go see a technician maybe a different VHS player will get it working.
    Viksaan
    vidmate
    Quote Quote  
  3. I suspect the tape player has a problem or the old VHS tapes are suspect. If this player is new (rarity nowadays) talk to the seller, but assuming it is used, see if the seller will provide some form of help.
    VHS tape players use a light inside the unit to sense the tape leader (which is clear tape on the start and the end). If something is allowing this sensor to see light, then it will stop the tape. Make sure the case is in the proper place and if there is a window to see the tape while in the machine, make sure there is no light shining in the window. You could place a piece of paper over the window as a temporary light block. If the tape still stops after a few seconds, then there is a problem with the player. Could also try a new tape to see if it still does the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the tape is sticky due to age/humity, they will tend to completely stop the video head from spinning causing the machine to save itself by shutting down. This may or may not be your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Stickiness is very rare with VHS tapes. It's most likely that the takeup reel is not turning. Run a tape with the cover off (you may have to dim the room lights) and watch what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the previous owner had trouble extracting a stuck tape, the method used to extract it may have upset the timing gears. This will cause all tapes to immediately eject. Fixing timing gears requires a technician, if that is the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    OP does not have a problem with premature ejection. "Every tape I have tried only plays for a few seconds and then shuts the machine down." This suggests a glitch during Play mode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It can be an electronic or mechanic issue, sent it over for repair.
    Last edited by amaipaipai; 21st Mar 2019 at 16:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the exact brand and model of deck?
    Some have known issues, and some are easy to resolve.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote