VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I am trying to digitise some old 8mm Videos.

Every time I capture a video, vdub thinks I am recording 4~ minutes more audio than video.

I don't see a seperate button to capture audio and video, there is just one button to capture both audio and video.

So I press play on my camcorder, then press 'Capture>Capture Video' in vdub..... about 1h30m later I press 'Capture>Stop Capture' in vdub and then stop the camcorder.

However When I go to File>File Information in vdub it says:

Video Stream> Length: 1:26:24.32
    Audio Stream> Length: 1:30:16.63

Is there any way to make vdub stop thinking I'm recording audio for longer than I am recording video?

The tape is absolutely perfect sync (well it should be according to laws of physics because the tape cant spin faster to capture video, then spin slower to capture audio LOL, it's capturing audio and video at the same time. Some sort of software option is causing Vdub to think I am capturing more audio.

Thank you for any assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which OS? AmarecTV is a good capture program alternative, but HuffyUV, the capture codec can be problematic
    to install in Windows 10
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi thanks for your response.

I'm using Win8.1, I'm encoding to UT lossless.

Currently running this tape through for the 8th time after tinkering some more with the Timing options in vdub. About 10 minutes left on the tape. If this doesn't work this time I will try using other software.

I was thinking about extracting the audio and then manually adjusting the play-time using audacity, and then merging them together, but I don't think it's a simple as that, I think Vdub is deleting random frames of video at random times, this is why the video is shorter than the audio. (I think)

Why cant it just capture raw video and audio whether its good or bad, why does it need to randomly delete/add frames?

There should be a simple switch which tells it to capture the same amount of audio and video. How can it capture 50 mins of video and 1hr of audio in the SAME amount of time LOL. It's hilarious.
    Quote Quote  
  4. YES. I've Fixed it!

Finally, after 8 attempts.

If anyone is interested these are the settings I used for the timing options and it finally worked:

[Attachment 48455 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting your solution. Many have timing issues using Virtualdub for capture,
    and a good percentage end up switching to Amarectv, Stoik or iuVCS/iuVCR in the end.
    UT codec should work with them too, as far as I'm aware
    Quote Quote  
  6. Frames Inserted: 564
    That's not good.

Some other things to try:

1) Resync mode: Do not resync audio/video
    2) don't let VirtualDub play the audio while capturing
    3) don't compress audio while capturing
    4) Use a fast lossless video codec while capturing
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Frames Inserted: 564
    That's not good.

Some other things to try:

1) Resync mode: Do not resync audio/video
    2) don't let VirtualDub play the audio while capturing
    3) don't compress audio while capturing
    4) Use a fast lossless video codec while capturing
    Thanks for your response.

The 'frames inserted' counter only rises when static is being captured between recordings on the same tape.

You know the black and white static you get on tapes when nothing is recorded on it. It only happens when it captures that between some of the shots, it doesn't rise when it's capturing actual video signal.

So I don't think it's a bad thing in this case, but you're right, if that figure was rising while capturing actual signal and not static, I guess that would be bad.
    Quote Quote