VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious if this problem is just me or if this is a know problem:

I've downloaded Handbrake GUI (1.1.0), as well as the CLI version, and I'm unable to include the subtitles in any form when trying to transcode an MKV to MP4 (haven't tried any other combinations yet).

I can see and extract the embedded subtitles just fine with tools like MKVMerge/MKVToolNix, for instance. And on Windows and MacOS, I can transcode and include the subtitles just fine, so my problem seems to be limited to Linux. On the 'subtitles' tab in Handbrake, I can't even see any subtitles that should be available to include.

Am I missing a dependency, or is it a known bug, or just something I may be doing wrong?

Appreciate any advice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wtf? if you can do it using windows and or macos why does it matter linux sucks? it just does.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wtf? if you can do it using windows and or macos why does it matter linux sucks? it just does.
    Well maybe mk553 want to use it on Linux and just used Windows to test it. This answer doesn't help the op.
    And Linux just works to fine for me

your handbrake version is quit old, there is a native version 1.2.2 available for linux, it does include a terminal version as well afaik

you can try adding the subtitles that are extracted through mkvtoolnix, see if that works.
    I never used handbrake on the terminal though
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mk553 View Post
    Just curious if this problem is just me or if this is a know problem:

I've downloaded Handbrake GUI (1.1.0), as well as the CLI version, and I'm unable to include the subtitles in any form when trying to transcode an MKV to MP4 (haven't tried any other combinations yet).

I can see and extract the embedded subtitles just fine with tools like MKVMerge/MKVToolNix, for instance. And on Windows and MacOS, I can transcode and include the subtitles just fine, so my problem seems to be limited to Linux. On the 'subtitles' tab in Handbrake, I can't even see any subtitles that should be available to include.

Am I missing a dependency, or is it a known bug, or just something I may be doing wrong?

Appreciate any advice!
    try the tips here - https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/533
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    and I'm unable to include the subtitles in any form when trying to transcode an MKV to MP4
    Are you sure you want to transcode instead of just remuxing? Also, are you sure mp4 supports the subtitle format?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input, guys. It turns out that it was a version problem, after all. The subtitle issue was either added or corrected relatively recently, and when I pulled Handbrake from the 'software' store in Xubuntu, it pulled the older version for some reason.

I haven't tried it yet with all different types of file types, but so far this gets me to where I need to be for now (I'm hard of hearing, and wanted to ensure all my shows have captions for me).

Appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mk553 View Post
    the 'software' store in Xubuntu, it pulled the older version for some reason.
    That happens for a number of softwares, so always be aware of it. Sometimes manual install is required.

I run into that several times per year.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually the software in the official repo's are mostly outdated, a few acceptions though like browsers

If the version is old check the original maker website or github for updated versions, usually they have it compiled for your distro.
    But it is best to stick with what is available in the repo's, that software/version is tested for your distro, but like in this case you need a updated version.

But be careful with adding a unknown repo or ppa
    Quote Quote