VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking to upgrade my tv with a 4K model. a lot of the affordable models (around the 50" variety) seem to have 60hz native refresh. i tend to watch a lot of PAL/25hz content and it's been a struggle over the year to have it displayed correctly. My current setup seems to be working - having my media player directly outputting the 25hz content (withOUT converting the framerate) to my 120hz Vizio 1080p TV, which then seems to display the content properly (without studdery motion or any other artifacts). How do the recent crop of inexpensize 4k sets deal with 25hz/50hz content? Specifically Vizio?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no PAL content watchers out there in the US?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My LG TV does show a slight stutter every second or so, but it's really only noticeable on slow panning shots.
    For casual viewing I can live with it
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No stutter on my sony tv except for the usual panning while watching 25hz videos.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by akrako1 View Post
    Looking to upgrade my tv with a 4K model. a lot of the affordable models (around the 50" variety) seem to have 60hz native refresh. i tend to watch a lot of PAL/25hz content and it's been a struggle over the year to have it displayed correctly. My current setup seems to be working - having my media player directly outputting the 25hz content (withOUT converting the framerate) to my 120hz Vizio 1080p TV, which then seems to display the content properly (without studdery motion or any other artifacts). How do the recent crop of inexpensize 4k sets deal with 25hz/50hz content? Specifically Vizio?
    I thought there might be something in the user manual about motion handling and supported refresh rates for HDMI input but when I downloaded the manual for the2018 Vizio 4k E-series models, I found the user manual to be fairly uninformative. The manual noted that the effective refresh rate was 120Hz, which I took to mean that the TV did something to make judder less noticeable but the manual did not say what that was. I went to rtings.com to see the review for the 2018 E-series TVs to find out more.

The review said the following:
    The Vizio E Series 2018 has decent motion handling. It comes with a very fast response time and uses PWM to dim the backlight. The flicker is very fast and should not be noticeable to most people. It can lower the flicker rate to reduce blur, but unlike most TVs, it can do so without dimming the screen. It does not support any motion interpolation, so there is no way to remove stutter from low fps content.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. I am in bavaria germany and here simply every tv in the last decade, OLED, Plasma, LCD and LCD with LED backlight support both 24 Hz, one is called 23 Hz in Windows drivers, 25, both 30, one is called 29 in windows then 50 Hz and also both 60, one is called 59 in windows.

23 is for 23.976 which is 24/1.001
    29 is for 29.970 which is 30/1.001
    59 is for 59.940 which is 60/1.001

But the TV wil not show 23/29/59 in osd info, it will show 24/30/60.

I know there were some crap tvs which show in osd mode they were using 24 hz but used a 3:2 pulldown which is the same as it would be on 60hz. But 99 percent are fine and all in the last 5 years should be fine, perhaps not the cheap crap. Just stay with the Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony, Philips, ... which are fine.

I personally don‘t think tvs in the us are castrated, but since I don‘t tested a us tv by my own I can‘t tell.

If it would be the case, I would be very astonished because in the US are for sure also video experts, I am pretty sure
    Quote Quote