VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I do livestreams of events that include commentary in multiple languages. The production team usually gives a single SDI cable with the video feed and upto 16 channels of audio. I'm looking for an SDI to USB interface that will pull the video and 16 channels of audio into a Windows laptop.

The Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder does a good job of ingesting 16 audio channels, but it is a thunderbolt interface which is not too common in windows laptops. I've got a Magewell SDI USB Plus too, but that only takes in 2 audio channels.

Any ideas where I might find something that can take in all 16 audio channels through USB 3. If not for SDI, a HDMI to USB interface would also be ok, though SDI would be my first choice. And if 16 channels is too much of an ask, 8 channels could also work.

Thanks
    Last edited by regstuff; 15th Mar 2019 at 05:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look at music production sites. AVID/Digidesign, MOTU, Apogee, etc. Most are gearing toward Tbolt3, but there are still a bunch of units that are UBS2 or 3 (even a few Firewire).
    Once you add in video, though, it's a whole different ball game. USB 2 isn't enough bandwidth for uncompressed HD and 16ch audio. Heck, if you are doing standard 1080, you can only do ~7 fps in USB2, unless you compress the signal.

Ultimately, though, you'd serve yourself best for the long run by getting an aftermarket Tbolt3 card for your desktop PC.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or wait for usb 4 cards and devices to start appearing. usb 4 is becoming the new tbolt 3 as intel has made tbolt open source. best news is usb 4 will use the same connector as usb-c
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, but that's AT BEST 9 months from now.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Look at music production sites. AVID/Digidesign, MOTU, Apogee, etc. Most are gearing toward Tbolt3, but there are still a bunch of units that are UBS2 or 3 (even a few Firewire).
    Once you add in video, though, it's a whole different ball game. USB 2 isn't enough bandwidth for uncompressed HD and 16ch audio. Heck, if you are doing standard 1080, you can only do ~7 fps in USB2, unless you compress the signal.

Ultimately, though, you'd serve yourself best for the long run by getting an aftermarket Tbolt3 card for your desktop PC.

Scott
    Unfortunately I'm using a Laptop. I have to travel and stream, so can't use a PC. Maybe my best bet would be to get a Laptop with a TB3 port.
    Quote Quote