VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to make a video of me playing three different instruments. I have a problem with the delay I am encountering. The song is called Hot Pastrami by the Dartells. I start by recording the organ. Then I play the organ part on my TV and then play along with the drums. Then I display the organ and drums on the TV and play the bass part along with it. The problem is the organ and drums are way out of sync, happening too late. I don't understand why there would be such a delay. I also did not turn up the volume on the TV loud enough so the bass is the dominant sound so I will have to rerecord it again to get the volume correct. What can I do to solve the sync issue?

https://youtu.be/-6rbqu8UDZY
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is this:
    Organ track -> computer decode -> pipe to TV -> TV decode -> Listen & play along -> capture (A/D) -> New track save
    longer than this?:
    Organ track

You know it is.

The way pros do it is with what's known as "pre-read", but that requires very good equipment and software that knows how to work with it. If the delay was constant and you know what it was, you could either temp slide your ref track later at first and then back to original once the others have been recorded. Or you could just leave it alone at first and just move it after the others are recorded. Not sure what app you're using, but if it doesn't automatically support pre-read (aka "sel-sync" of old), you'll have to do it manually this way.

Now, backing up...I'd say it would probably work better if you started by using the drums first (in the industry, they use drums or a "click" track). Because, it has a much sharper attack time, thus making easier to know the point at which to sync to, and how to groove to it. Then bass, then organ. Organ is the most sustained of the 3, so it is the more fluid when it comes to compartmentalization of the notes vs. their place in time.

Other than that, there is no "solving" of the sync issue. Again, pro software (I use AVID/Digidesign ProTools) has a SoS record function that assists with that, and also what you hear for monitoring during SoS recording is the Playback of recorded tracks, along with Live/bypassed feed of your new tracks.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use decent mics and record the 3 parts using headphones to listen as you play to what's been done before. as many takes as needed to get it to sound ok. then video yourself "playing" the instruments along to the previously recorded audio track. edit the videos into one with a multi-cam editor, delete the cam audio and use the previously recorded version with the video.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you want some inspiration, as well as some hints on how it's done, watch this amazing cover of "Bohemian Rhapdsody" where the guy plays all the instruments and sings all the parts. It was recorded long before the current Queen movie, and even before the Queen / Mercury tribute at the closing of the 2012 Olympics. He did it just ... because. IMHO, it is a tour de force:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iiy_YfpVn0
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions guy. However I do not have any professional equipment. I am trying to do this with a smartphone only.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SeilerBird View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guy. However I do not have any professional equipment. I am trying to do this with a smartphone only.
    Gosh, I don't want to downplay what you can do on a Smartphone, especially when it comes to photographs, but in this case, it is a really awful choice. The Smartphone lacks the essential multi-track software, but more importantly lacks a decent microphone. Until and unless you want to invest a few dollars into this undertaking, you're going to end up with schlock results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is not an important project for me. I realize I would need to spend money to make it look professional. That is not the point to this thread. I am asking why there is an audio delay. It does not make any sense to me. I am playing it perfectly in sync but the recording does not sync perfectly. I was wondering what I was doing wrong.
    Quote Quote