VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    For anyone with a JVC VCR/DVD combo unit from the 2000s with S-Video Out and In, and would like to use the VCR S-Video Input portion of their machine. Remember you have to go into the DVD portion of the Menu to switch between Composite and S-Video. I probably spent 4-5 hours off and on, trying everything from switching S-Video cables, using different outlets, switching between L-1 and F-1, using a TV instead of my computer to view the output, redoing the wiring, etc etc. Anyway now that that's over I just hope to save someone the trouble of figuring out that you need to use the DVD side to control the VHS side. The manual also does the absolute bare minimum when it comes to telling the owner that you have to manually select your Video input, while the same machine will happily output both S-Video and Composite at the same time. This information is not repeated on the VCR side of the manual -_-

[Attachment 48328 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 48327 - Click to enlarge]

Keyword: F-1, L-1, Blue Screen, S-Video, Composite
    Last edited by KarMa; 9th Mar 2019 at 20:32. Reason: Tried to be clearer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So this combi will actually output from the VCR in s-video ?

I ask since on my Funai s-video output is reserved for dvd only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So this combi will actually output from the VCR in s-video ?

I ask since on my Funai s-video output is reserved for dvd only.
    Yes the VCR side can output S-Video or Composite, and they both output constantly without the user having to change any settings. While the S-Video Input for the VCR needs the user to manually change the settings in the GUI. Along with the F-1 input on the front of the machine(RCA + S-Video). Many of the inputs/outputs can be shared between the VCR and DVD, you simply press the VCR/DVD button on the front to switch between the two sides. It's a JVC SR-MV45 but I'm betting there are many other JVC combo units that require the user to select VCR S-Video Input, but using the DVD GUI.

[Attachment 48331 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by KarMa; 9th Mar 2019 at 20:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that.

It was always my - maybe mis-understood - understanding that s-video output, at VHS level, was reserved for a s-vhs vcr.

I would hardly expect any combi to be s-vhs compatable. So it seems I have been proved wrong.
    Quote Quote