VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried successfully playing back decrypted Blu-rays (the back up discs that some of us make to keep our original store bought discs in pristine shape) on any of the new Blu-ray players lately?

My process is:
    1. I use MakeMKV to produce unencrypted BDMV and Certificate files
    2. I use BD Rebuilder to put those files back together
    3. Then I use Imgburn to create one unencrypted Blu-ray disc that will play in my Blu-ray player.

I've never had any serious problems playing back a Blu-ray in my Sony GoogleTV Blu-ray player, though on a Sony Playstation the audio would cut out after 20 minutes. That however would NOT happen when we played a Blu-ray on an Xbox. It played perfectly using an Xbox.

But now I am considering buying a new Panasonic 4K Blu-ray player (the DP-UB820) and I'm wondering if "my process" above will result in Blu-ray Discs that will play correctly in the new player all the way through. Or will I lose the audio after 20 minutes? Has anyone had any actual experience with this lately?

At one time, I thought that there was something that Blu-ray Player manufacturers were required to install in a Blu-ray player that would stop the audio after about 20 minutes, but I don't know if that is true any more. Can someone wise me up?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the audio cutting out sounds like a cinavia issue.
    you would need to use a program such as dvdfab that can repair
    the audio track ( providing the disc is supported, "most are"). so it isn't a issue with your player.
    Last edited by october262; 8th Mar 2019 at 18:12.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys!! I must really be getting old to have forgotten about Cinavia. But when you mentioned it and I then read the link, it all came flooding back. Using a Blu-ray player that doesn't check for Cinavia, I'd pretty much forgotten about the problem. But with a new 4K Blu-ray player on the horizon, the Kracken has re-arisen.

DVDFab, here I come! Hope you can handle converting 4K originals into 4K 25GB Blu-rays with Atmos sound and with Cinavia removed! We shall see.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LloydS View Post
    DVDFab, here I come! Hope you can handle converting 4K originals into 4K 25GB Blu-rays with Atmos sound and with Cinavia removed! We shall see.
    The product information for DVDFab DVD & Blu-ray Cinavia Removal says nothing about UHD Blu-ray, so try before you buy.

Plus, assuming it works for UHD Blu-ray, you may need to accept something other than Dolby Atmos. If you read the product information for DVDFab DVD & Blu-ray Cinavia Removal, there is no mention of Dolby Atmos. The best Blu-ray audio format that the product information says this software can process is DTS HD Master Audio, and that is output as a DTS-HD audio track.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvdfab does have a partial list of UHD titles that are currently supported - http://blog.dvdfab.cn/cinavia-protection.html just click reference lists.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by LloydS View Post
    The product information for DVDFab DVD & Blu-ray Cinavia Removal says nothing about UHD Blu-ray, so try before you buy.

Plus, assuming it works for UHD Blu-ray, you may need to accept something other than Dolby Atmos. If you read the product information for DVDFab DVD & Blu-ray Cinavia Removal, there is no mention of Dolby Atmos. The best Blu-ray audio format that the product information says this software can process is DTS HD Master Audio, and that is output as a DTS-HD audio track.
    Unless some breakthrough has occurred, it's well established that any "Cinavia removal" program replaces the audio with a version from an non-Cinavia infected disc which is why Atmos isn't supported, there's no alternative track to replace it with.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    dvdfab does have a partial list of UHD titles that are currently supported - http://blog.dvdfab.cn/cinavia-protection.html just click reference lists.
    Somehow I missed that DVDFab now lists a Cinavia removal product specifically for UHD Blu-ray, DVDFab UHD Cinavia Removal.

[Edit] It looks like the UHD version can't process Dolby Atmos audio either. It is still appears to be limited to DTS HD Master Audio (output as a DTS-HD audio track) for its highest quality UHD Blu-ray audio option.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Mar 2019 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ditch the standalone player and play the file on a mediaplayer that so far don't have to have Cinavia.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The majority of hardware media players don't support Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, but then again many 4K TVs don't support those features either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just mentioning 2
    Popcorn (Cloud Media) and 4K
    Dune
    and quite a few others support Atmos

whilst there are a lot of very cheap media players out there you get what you pay for really.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Just mentioning 2
    Popcorn (Cloud Media) and 4K
    Dune
    and quite a few others support Atmos
    The UHD Blu-ray player LloydS is considering supports Dolby Atmos for audio and HDR10, HLG, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision for high dynamic range video. HDR10 is the default HDR format for UHD Blu-ray, but discs which supply can Dolby Vision are becoming common. Dolby Vision is the better option of the two.

I said that hardware media players with Atmos and Dolby Vision support are few in number because if LoydS wants a media player that can replace a good UHD Blu-ray disc player for playing commercial UHD Blu-ray backups, then he's going to need a media player with Dolby Vision support as well as Dolby Atmos support. That is a rare combination of features for media players at this point. I can't tell from the specs that I saw whether or not Cloud Media or Dune has a player which supports both. I have not yet seen any other media players that can provide both at this point.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Mar 2019 at 10:16.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent points all. Your help and comments are most appreciated in advancing my understanding of the situation. At this point, for simplicity's sake, keeping my wife's limited computer/media server skills in view, I think I'll go with the DVDFab option that allows me to create a Cinavia free 4k disc that I can play in my new Blu-ray player (yeah, I bought the Panasonic DP-UB820 from Best Buy-Magnavox. Well, it was the last one they had) I'll have to give up Atmos, but it should still be darn good sound.

And then I'm thinking of starting a file of "UHD 4k's only, with the original sound" on an external hard drive hoping that eventually some company will create a media player that will allow me to play 4K UHD backups with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about Apple TV 4K - Less than $200 Doesn't do HDR10+ and bear in mind
    Currently, the only source for HDR10+ content is Amazon Prime Video streaming. According to Amazon, the service's entire collection of Prime HDR content is now available in HDR10+ via compatible displays. This includes shows like The Grand Tour, The Tick, Bosch, and The Man in the High Castle, along with around 100 other movies and TV series.

Powered by the A10X Fusion chip and 32GB of storage, Apple's flagship media player offers 4K playback capabilities at up to 60 frames per second with support for HDR10 (but not HDR10+), Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos. In addition, the device includes 4K scaling for HD sources, Siri voice search, iCloud support for media sharing, standard AirPlay capabilities, and the ability to serve as a smart home hub for HomeKit accessories with remote access and automated control. Likewise, bolstered by Apple's iTunes service, the unit includes access to one of the strongest HDR and Dolby Atmos app lineups available. A 64GB version is also on sale for $199.
    Quote Quote