VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is probably a dumb question but I tend to overlook the obvious...and not-so-obvious.

I'm getting ready to "upgrade" to a single monitor by way of replacing a multi-mon setup in favor of a 4K TV. Currently my main monitor is a 27" (23.5" width viewable) 16x10 @ 1920x1200. I'm expecting that in effort to maintain the viewed font sizing (Win default) I'll need to use a 4K TV with an approximately 47" width viewable. Correct?

While I'm here, might as well talk TV choice. Since this is to be used exclusively as a PC monitor via HDMI and my research seems to advise this particular setup automatically bypasses most filtering and advanced features I'm thinking a basic 4:4:4 capable 4K TV should fulfill my needs. I have my eye on the TCL 43S405 or 49S405 units which score quite well with regard to font rendering (most important aspect for me) but fall short elsewhere compared to better TV's. These "S" series TCL's have no local dimming, simple direct backlight and a worthless HDR claim considering dismal sub 200 cd/mē peak brightness. If it's true that PC mode pretty much makes the forementioned features defunct I figure why spend $500 for a TV that a $200-$250 TCL can accomplish.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You say everything correctly + TrueType will allow you to customize fonts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies!

I forgot all about this thread or would have provided an update sooner. Ultimately I decided on the 49S405 ($200) and couldn't be more satisfied. The 49" displays all on-screen objects at the same size I had become accustomed to when using the 27" 1080x1200 monitors, this was a very important factor. The TV in 4:4:4 mode also displays font as crisp and clean as any dedicated monitor I've used. As a workstation monitor this TV was a very good choice. I'm not a high-end video aficionado nor a gamer so can't comment on the suitability of its use for those purposes while in PC mode.

Appreciate the TTF heads-up Seed!
    Quote Quote