VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I am making a video with two cameras, one of which will be equipped with a TEAC digital recorder. How can I disable the audio on the other camera? I only want audio captured from one direction.

If this inquiry belongs elsewhere, please move it or let me know and I will re-post.

Thank you,
    Chef
    Quote Quote  
  2. What model is the camera?

But more importantly --why? Sound from the second camera can be a useful sync reference, and even an emergency backup in case something goes wrong with your "A" recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And if you really don't want the secondary audio, just disable it in the editor.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Agree, second audio can be used for syncing two videos - simple rule is always record as much as possible, always use highest resolution , highest frame rate, highest sampling rate etc - you can later edit, cut, discard, loose, convert as much as you wish but you can record particular time event only once...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +1
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wow, you guys know some stuff. Thanks so much. To answer, the second camera is a little Canon IXUS, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I paid about $150 for it in England a few years ago. You can't set audio on it, nor connect an external mike.

As for why, I guess I just assumed there'd be a problem playing back two video tracks with two audio tracks, one with reverb and eq (through my nicer Olympus OM-D paired with a TEAC digital recorder), and the other with nothing. If the second audio can be disabled in the editor, I didn't know that and it solves the problem if there was one.

I have to say that the little Canon has wonderful audio anyway, or at least it does to my ears, so maybe it's also a non-issue for that reason as well. See here:

https://vimeo.com/189563996

I don't know what "sync references" are or how audio can be used for syncing. I also don't understand clappers, LOL.
    Seriously, I don't.

I obviously need a basic editing course to be able to understand what you all are saying. I'm the meantime, thanks very much for your advice and the information.
    Quote Quote