VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ton of old cartoons (100+) all have VOBSUB as subtitles. Id like to convert them to SRT either as a separate file or embedded back into the MKV. Is there a program that can do this for me automatically?

I know I can use mkvmergeGUI to extract VobSUB then convert it and remux with mkvmergeGUI again. But to do that 100+ times would be very tedious. Im willing to do it, but want to see if there is an easier way first?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I wanted to suggest Subtitle Edit. But it seems it is currently broken with mkv/sub input both in cli and GUI batch mode (Tools->Batch convert). I will ask the author, maybe he can fix it quickly.

Are the subtitles always the same track number? Because then you could write a batch with first extracting, then converting and if wanted embedding:
    Code:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do (
    mkvextract tracks "%%~a" "2:%%~na.idx"
    subtitleedit /convert "%%~na.sub" subrip
    mkvmerge -o "outputfolder\%%~a" "%%~a" "%%~na.srt"
    del %%~na.sub
    del %%~na.idx
    del %%~na.srt
    )
    Note that batch converting vobsub to srt is error prone because the OCR process isn't perfect. It is better to do this one file at a time and manually correct any errors.

BTW: ffmpeg has Tesseract OCR engine. I wonder if it's possible to this with just ffmpeg in a single step.
    Last edited by sneaker; 2nd Mar 2019 at 05:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    FFmpeg's OCR filter produces a frame-level data file. It has to be processed into SRT or some other subtitle format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Recently, there are ways to convert SUB IDX files online into SRTs.
    https://convert.jamack.net/en/ OR Use Subtitle Edit
    Quote Quote