VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I want to ask if anyone could please explain the pre-production process a Videographer (whether he/she works for an employer or is Freelancing) goes through, before he/she could begin shooting a video (for example, a corporate video)?

Thanks.
    Last edited by WildStrike; 27th Feb 2019 at 15:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You might want to peruse this magazine. They've been writing about exactly this subject for over thirty years:

Videomaker Magazine
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 27th Feb 2019 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question is too broad.
    Narrow down the question, and try again.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, the "videography" (or "cinematography") part is much more narrow and just deals with the skilled artistic & techical use of the optical, electronic & digital tools to get the best desired captured look of a scene.
    The other stuff falls under things like the "salesmanship", "screenwriting", "directing", "editing", "compositing", "distributing" and "producing" of a work, among other things.

For one thing, a strictly videographer never delivers a finished product, he/she delivers raw footage (like "dailies") to the next stage of the process, which is ingest & edit. Someone who shoots AND does decisions & editing & crafting final product is wearing many hats.
    I've been in both kinds of positions.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 27th Feb 2019 at 01:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Looks like OP is trying to put things on his CV that he actually isn't

Get another job , preferrably one youare good at.

You may want to start off at the WIKIPEDIA ENTRY...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The question is too broad.
    Narrow down the question, and try again.
    I want to ask if anyone could please explain the pre-production process a Videographer (whether he/she works for an employer or is Freelancing) goes through, before he/she could begin shooting a video (for example, a corporate video)?
    Last edited by WildStrike; 27th Feb 2019 at 15:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Wondering"? or is this some school research paper?

The only pre-production steps a videographer goes through (versus a producer, production designer, scout, etc) is to discuss with the producer/director and/or the lighting people/set designer/location scout what the intent is for the project (referencing the storyboard) and go over such artistic things as "mood", "perspective", or such technical things as "environment", "temperature", "obstructions & interferences", and "logistics" (esp. shipping).

The vast bulk of the job of a videographer is in Production, not pre-pro.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    "Wondering"? or is this some school research paper?

The only pre-production steps a videographer goes through (versus a producer, production designer, scout, etc) is to discuss with the producer/director and/or the lighting people/set designer/location scout what the intent is for the project (referencing the storyboard) and go over such artistic things as "mood", "perspective", or such technical things as "environment", "temperature", "obstructions & interferences", and "logistics" (esp. shipping).

The vast bulk of the job of a videographer is in Production, not pre-pro.

Scott
    No, it's not for "some school research paper" - and you're right that "wondering" isn't a good choice word - but I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    Last edited by WildStrike; 27th Feb 2019 at 15:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a little tip.

You are new to the forum but editing posts AFTER people have taken the trouble to reply is IMO very bad form.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just a little tip.

You are new to the forum but editing posts AFTER people have taken the trouble to reply is IMO very bad form.
    I apologise.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you wonder about the slightly hostile reactions you are receiving, another reason is that you don't seem to be doing anything with the suggestions you are given. For instance, I gave you a link to a magazine that, for thirty years, has specialized in providing answers to exactly your question, both the original version of your question, as well as the more focused version. Despite my effort to help you, it is obvious that you did not click on the link I gave you, and you certainly did not attempt to read anything there.

In one last, probably vain attempt to help, here are the search results from that site which result from entering "pre-production" into that site's search box:

https://www.videomaker.com/?s=pre-production

It leads to results that include:

These are just a few of the results from the first page of search results. There are twenty-three pages of additional results from just this one search!! I have made the above links clickable to make it easier for you to actually get to these articles, but I hope you are able to actually do your own searching and reading. This magazine probably has all of your answers if you will just take the time to actually use the advice being given to you here.
    Quote Quote