VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    64-bit software/knowledge necessary:
    1) MakeMKV
    2) MKVToolNixGUI (also known as MKVmerge)
    3) Pazera Free Audio Extractor
    4) ShanaEncoder
    • In MakeMKV, do a BACKUP of the Blu Ray disc -- make sure to select DECRYPT FILES.
    • In the Blu Ray's Disc Structure now on your HDD, locate the BDMV/Stream folder and find the movie file, it will be the largest M2TS file.
    • Drag this movie file into the latest version of MKVToolNix/MKVmerge, onto the INPUT TAB; now, at the bottom of the CODEC list, you should see a second video track and a DTS Express track. Unselect all other Codecs but these two. Start Multiplexing them (essentially you're demuxing them into their own separate file).
    • The resultant .MKV file's DTS audio will still refuse to decode within VLC media player; it will be silent; so...drag the .MKV file into Pazera Free Audio Extractor and convert the audio into your preferred flavor (AC3, AAC, whatever). Make sure to select a two-channel/stereo output only.
    • Now, in MKVmerge, REMUX the .MKV video with the newly-converted AUDIO file and -- Voila -- the video syncs up with sound that is now audible in VLC. Or you can just utilize the audio track on its own sans video.

If you need to edit this new .MKV/AUDIO file, you'll have to change the container from MKV to MP4. I recommend using ShanaEncoder; it will re-wrap the file container in a shorter amount of time (using the Copy mode in settings for both video and audio) than converting it in Handbrake (which is a complete recompression and takes forever).

You'll have to learn these programs on your own, they're pretty simple as far as GUIs go, with their own little quirks.

The End.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Didn't they add DTS Express (incl. LBR) to ffmpeg years ago? I mean both VLC and Pazera are based on ffmpeg so both should be able to decode it.
    Last edited by sneaker; 26th Feb 2019 at 06:28.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not that I know of, and it doesnt work in the latest VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Interesting. I opened a ticket on the VLC bug tracker.

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/21973
    Quote Quote