VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Sometimes looking at reviews of various things like synths etc there are major differences in audio quality between them.
    It should not have to be - just plugin into audio interface and record.

#1. Are there different video editors that do less good a job?
    #2. Is format better to be pcm when upload when YT do their conversions?
    #3. I guess some goes with resolution on video you upload - but not sure that is the full story?
    I most often run 144p and do in normal small window to save bandwidth, and the ones that sound better sound stunning still.

The ones I think of - have less low end, knowing it's there in the instrument reviewed - and rather harsch mids, kind of.
    Listen to the same in another review - and all sound perfect.

What is the culprit here?

I'm preparing to upload something in future, so preparing to know how to do it - if go for better video editor or choose pcm before ac3 or similar.
    Most probably just MP4 file with H264 1080p inside - and then whatever audio encoding that works better.

Any input on this is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    YouTube will accept just about any format. They all get transcoded. For highest quality, send PCM in an AVI or MKV file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.
    What I discovered was that quality was very different, and wonder what possibly manufacturer could make in mistakes, where nothing is miked, just to plugin from a synth to audio interface.

I just suspect this is to do with what format it was uploaded as - that makes a difference.

Just thought there is more to it - and try to shorten learning process and less trial and error.

I remember sending video of a problem I had with some gear to seller providing warranty - and they could not get audio, not right codecs or something.
    This was from some Sony digital camera I had at the time.
    I did tutorials from screen capture of my products in beginning the millenium, and same thing - you had to be careful what codec are used to work on most systems.

I now use PowerDirector 16 and seem to have AAC or Dolby Digital, but this is for AVC video.
    From camera I get H264 as either MP4 or MOV container.
    Thinking if to try DaVinci Resolve or something, if there are more/better options?

Any good sources or even books to learn about the details on this, the technical parts as well and quality parts?
    Some guide regarding formats and quality of it all?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by larioso View Post
    I most often run 144p and do in normal small window to save bandwidth, and the ones that sound better sound stunning still.
    I may have misunderstood, but if you're really uploading 144p, it will always look and sound like crap. Even more so after YouTube gets done with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by larioso View Post
    I may have misunderstood, but if you're really uploading 144p, it will always look and sound like crap. Even more so after YouTube gets done with it.
    Thank you either way.

I caused confusion, I think - 144p is what I was watching and still sound really good on those I felt was good, and could hear the lack of everthing in those I did not like sound of -. same synth just plugged in sounding so different. Same factory presets, kind of.

Just assuming resolution in some way resemble both video and audio, not sure how much.

I am to upload 1080p, to get decent looks in all kinds of devices viewers might have.
    And want audio to go with it sounding stunning, since it's my own music and my own films as well.

Since you can set encoding AAC up to 386 kbps, maybe that is what some save on rendering final video before upload - not sure.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh, I did misunderstand. Thank you for clarifying. Yes, to get the best results out of YouTube, you should include the best quality audio and video in your original upload. JVRaines suggested PCM but if, for some reason, that's not possible, high bitrate AAC audio will be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this article stating AAC is standard for YT, so probably best if kept AAC directly as rendered and then uploaded to YT.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding
    Quote Quote  
  9. 160 - 192kbps AAC or OPUS and you will be on safe side.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.

Listening to YT videos I often go down to 144p in video quality when image itself is not that important - but audio remain good quality as I discovered.
    So figure that uploading AAC that nothing at all is done to audio other than to video part, for various resolutions. Audio is such a small bitrate in comparison, I think.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by larioso View Post
    Thank you.

Listening to YT videos I often go down to 144p in video quality when image itself is not that important - but audio remain good quality as I discovered.
    So figure that uploading AAC that nothing at all is done to audio other than to video part, for various resolutions. Audio is such a small bitrate in comparison, I think.
    YT behaviour depend on many factors - usually low res video is linked with low samplerate audio but browser may request low res video and full sample rate audio - YT use DASH and YT automatically after uploading your source reconvert it to different accordingly to own rules which is beyond your control.
    Quote Quote