VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I usually power off my PC from Windows and it works without a problem. But when I boot to a command prompt and I press the on/off button, the PC powers off and almost immediately powers on again. If I press the on/off button and hold it for several seconds, the PC powers off and stays off, but is this normal? I recently changed computer case and same problem still happens, BIOS has default values and PSU otherwise works fine. What could be the problem?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 24th Feb 2019 at 07:28.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try checking the hibernation /
    Power save settings.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    As I wrote bios settings have default values and problem does not happen when entering hibernation / power save mode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try the keyboard & mouse settings & uncheck "Allow device to wake computer"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Both settings are already disabled.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I use Windows 7 and anyway the problem does not happen when powering off from Windows, but from a command prompt (DOS).
    Last edited by kyrcy; 24th Feb 2019 at 13:53.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    How do you boot to the command prompt?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use this ' shutdown.exe /s /t 00 ' for a command prompt and it shuts down with no startup,works on win7 and win10.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I do not need to shutdown windows from a command prompt. Occasionally I boot to commend prompt from a USB memory stick or I enter bios to make some changes and then power off. The problem happens in these cases. I used to have a similar problem in the past, but from what I can remember the problem then was the power switch. I am using a new computer case now.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There should be settings in the BIOS to control the behavior of the power button
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you boot from usb you are booting a different operating system as you normally use on that pc, so the powerbutton may have a different setting?
    You need to figure out what the powerbutton is set to in the usb boot, or the usb boot does what is set in bios/uefi
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    There should be settings in the BIOS to control the behavior of the power button
    There are settings, but they have default values and the PC should instantly power off when pressing the button.

Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    If you boot from usb you are booting a different operating system as you normally use on that pc, so the powerbutton may have a different setting?
    You need to figure out what the powerbutton is set to in the usb boot, or the usb boot does what is set in bios/uefi
    Lets forget the USB, before booting windows I enter BIOS setup, change some settings, save and exit and the PC restarts. If I do not want to boot windows, I press the button to power off, the PC powers off for a few seconds and then powers on again.

Note that I also tried a different PSU but the behavior is the same.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure? I've seen in many BIOS' that there is a setting for a four second delay when using the power button
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Are you sure? I've seen in many BIOS' that there is a setting for a four second delay when using the power button
    The setting is Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN with values either Instant-Off or Delay 4 Sec.

With Instant-Off pressing the power button should instantly turn off the system.

With Delay 4 Sec pressing and holding the power button for 4 seconds should turn off the system (If the power button is pressed for less than 4 seconds, the system should enter suspend mode).

Neither of the above seems to be working as it should. Only way to turn off is to press and hold power button for more than 4 seconds, regardless of the value used. Anything less causes the system to power off and then on. System never enters suspend mode.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    The setting is Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN with values either Instant-Off or Delay 4 Sec.

With Instant-Off pressing the power button should instantly turn off the system.

With Delay 4 Sec pressing and holding the power button for 4 seconds should turn off the system (If the power button is pressed for less than 4 seconds, the system should enter suspend mode).

Neither of the above seems to be working as it should. Only way to turn off is to press and hold power button for more than 4 seconds, regardless of the value used. Anything less causes the system to power on. System never enters suspend mode.
    Perhaps you should contact your motherboard support and ask them
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Perhaps you should contact your motherboard support and ask them
    The motherboard is out of warranty and support is worse than useless.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    System never enters suspend mode.
    So if i understand right you want to enter bios, change stuff, save and expect the pc to go in suspend mode?
    suspend mode is a Operating System thing.

De restart after bios changes is perfectly normal imho, but after the bios you should be able to shutdown the pc through several power button presses
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    System never enters suspend mode.
    So if i understand right you want to enter bios, change stuff, save and expect the pc to go in suspend mode?
    suspend mode is a Operating System thing.

De restart after bios changes is perfectly normal imho, but after the bios you should be able to shutdown the pc through several power button presses
    No, I don't want to go to suspend mode, but the PC should go to suspend mode if the button is pressed for less than 4 seconds when Delay 4 Sec is chosen in the bios.

I know that the restart after bios changes is normal, but after the bios I want to press the button and instantly power off.

What do you mean with "through several power button presses"?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes it only works after a few power button presses, so if 1 press didn't work try a few times
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How hard is it to follow the industry, and successfully and consistenly power down after a +4sec button hold?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    How hard is it to follow the industry, and successfully and consistenly power down after a +4sec button hold?

Scott
    Not that hard, but why is there the choice of Instant-Off if it does not work?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    De restart after bios changes is perfectly normal imho
    Like i said this is normal behavior but what you basically try to do is interrupt the restart that is initialed by the bios.

The bios setting you referring to are used to give the power button different options from inside the booted OS, not in bios or during boot afaik
    The 4 sec delay option is the only option that always work
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    De restart after bios changes is perfectly normal imho
    Like i said this is normal behavior but what you basically try to do is interrupt the restart that is initialed by the bios.

The bios setting you referring to are used to give the power button different options from inside the booted OS, not in bios or during boot afaik
    The 4 sec delay option is the only option that always work
    I believe that you are incorrect. The BIOS help clearly states: "Configure the way to turn off the computer in MS-DOS mode via the power button". If I choose Instant-Off in the BIOS, then pressing the power button should instantly turn off the system (in either Windows or MS-DOS) and this does not work (and the system turns on again).
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    If I choose Instant-Off in the BIOS, then pressing the power button should instantly turn off the system (in either Windows or MS-DOS) and this does not work (and the system turns on again).
    That may be your desire, but it doesn't mean that is what BIOS is programmed to do.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Configure the way to turn off the computer in MS-DOS mode via the power button
    A command prompt is not the same as ms-dos in a modern windows

And again, like jvraines also mentioned, if you change things in bios, the bios is programmed to restart. what you want to do is shutdown the pc after the bios reboot. In that case the power button has no defined function other than shutdown after 4 sec delay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In modern computers (i.e. basically anything made in the past 20 years), the BIOS/UEFI hands over control of hardware to the OS after POST. Even if you could disable features such as ACPI in setup, why would you cripple your OS like that?

Just press and hold the button or use the appropriate shutdown command. Don't get hung up on what a certain BIOS setting does or doesn't do. The built-in help text is often misleading or useless anyway.
    Last edited by valvehead; 1st Mar 2019 at 15:12.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    That may be your desire, but it doesn't mean that is what BIOS is programmed to do.
    It's not my desire, it's plain English written in the BIOS.

What does "Configure the way to turn off the computer in MS-DOS mode via the power button" mean, with TWO choices EITHER Instant-Off OR Delay 4 Sec?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This setting simply means that if you boot any OS the physical power button has a function. be it soft off or instant off. The instant off works also outside a OS
    ms-dos is a operating system

This works in Windows, Linux, ms-dos
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    This setting simply means that if you boot any OS the physical power button has a function. be it soft off or instant off. The instant off works also outside a OS
    ms-dos is a operating system

This works in Windows, Linux, ms-dos
    For me instant off DOES NOT work outside Windows.
    Quote Quote