VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Everyone. Brand new here a hoping for some assistance from those of you in the know. My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I am looking for a dvd authoring package under £100 uk. It must have dolby surround sound and chapter menu facilities. I don't need fancy fades/wipes, green screen, 360 degree, multi screen and a lot of the other stuff bundled in. I have tried Pinnacle 21 which didn't save my files properly, Powerdirector which will just about import 5.1 files but not good and its chapter menu editing/creation is dreadful. Corel (chat) have told me that Videostudio 2019 and Roxio don't handle 5.1, even though VS x8, x9 & x10 did (so for that matter did earlier, pre win 10, versions of Pinnacle). I have tried to get an evaluation copy of the earlier Videostudio releases but no joy as yet. Corel don't appear to be any help at all. So I throw myself at your feet in the hope that someone can advise me of something to use for a simple video/dvd creation suite running under Windows 10 (64bit), Hello... and thank you all in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Corel seems to be a mystery if the info provided to you is accurate.

DVD MovieFactory 7 pro claims to export audio at 5.1

https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/dvd-moviefactory/pro/

and also export to dvd. Since 5.1 is part of the dvd spec then I would expect it to handle 5.1

Another option would be Vegas Movie Studio

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/product-comparison/#productMenu

via their dvd architect program but it now appears that only the suite carries this whereas older versions, according to earlier threads in the forum, included it in the Platinum version.

Both packages are a little higher than your £100 but I believe that both offer a 30 day trial so you can try before you buy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for that. Downloaded the trial of Architect but not tried it yet. Really fancied Videstudio 2019. I tried to set it up for 5.1 but it didn't give me the option in the compression menu. The youtube tutorial was for VS x8 and looked great but...!! I chased this via the Corel 'chat' and was told that neither VS 2019 or Roxio supported 5.1 which I really found hard to believe in these days of 3d surround sound movies. I did wonder if the operatives actually knew what they were taking about hence trying to get a trial copy of VS x10. However you never know if the function you are looking for has been crippled for the trial version. My needs are fairly simple. I have archive footage (mov format I think) of stage plays from my theatre which I want to make into reasonable dvds with extra sound effects from the rear. Cross fades between scenes, title from static jpg slides and a moving thumbnail menu over a static jpg background at the start. Well I thought it was simple, how wrong was I??? Ask the suppliers, don't make me laugh, that's why I am here as I think the contributors to this forum are better informed than the people who sell the programmes. I never though being a casual user of dvd software would be so difficult until Windows 10 trashed my Pinnacle 14 suite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not use Architect but would advise you that there is a stand-alone version and a bundled version (the one that comes with Movie Studio)

Since the stand-alone version costs almost $100 compared with the bundled version at $139 I would have thought that the bundled version is crippled. Which is why I would suggest you try Movie Studio rather than the stand-alone.

Also Architect, if my understanding is correct, expects complaint sources and does not independently encode. Again, a tryout would confirm that.

But, as above, do also try out free software such as dvdstyler. Often just as good as the paid-for stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just trawling around and fount that on paper (!!!!), Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum appears to fill and my wants for £59.99 or less. This includes 'Architect' which I haven't tried yet. Does anyone have any experience of this suite or have any warnings about its shortcomings, ease of use, pitfalls etc??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ But not according to the spec that I posted via my initial reply. So, again a tbyb is to be recc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks DB, I'm actually looking at this page
    https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/gb/vegas-movie-studio/product-comparison/?_ga=2....895.1550686943
    , but I must be honest for someone coming in at the bottom, with little experience, all these packages which look so similar is a little confusing. For example why are Corel marketing Roxio, Pinnacle, Videostudio which all appear to do the same but not quite!!! Likewise it appears similar with Vegas. If you are going to buy up the competition, as least contract the range of products you are offering. I agree about testing them, but I am rapidly going off Corel's advice personnel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless my eyes deceive me the reference to dvd architect is still the suite rather than the Platinum version.

Only difference is that this page shows real currency (Tin hat now on)
    Quote Quote  
  9. I read it that dvd architect was included in 'Vegas movie studio platinum' and 'Vegas movie studio suite' but not in the plain 'vegas movie studio' . Does it mean that you would need dvd arch. as a separate plug in? Certainly agree about 'real currency'. Not sure why they stated dvd architect in the table and didn't just put a tick or cross like the rest,
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that many users do not enjoy the menu creation in Powerdirector, but it works and has 5.1. Maybe with a little practice it won't be so dreadful for you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Barry - Thanks for the input. I only really want to do this once, so trying to make sure that I do it right for what I want to do. Powerdirector is ok, but not really where I want to be in terms of both editing menus which works but is a pain, and Dolby 5.1, which again works but from my experimentation means that any movement of the the sound effect has to be pre-planned and placed on the time-line in the appropriate place. I much prefer to 'move the sound position' in 'real time' while watching and listening to the video. This is why I am asking so many questions as the functions that I need and the price that I pay are important. If 'vegas movie studio platinum' does what I need, I can get it for half the price of Cyberdirector, with a lot less of the stuff that I don't need. I just find it very tedious to trawl through all the specs, some which are totally incomplete, some duplicate similar software on the same suppliers site and some are downright mis-leading. That's why I am appealing to all the end users on here for their opinions. All are valid, knowledgeable, respected and very gratefully received.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DB - Just downloading the trial version of 'Vegas movie studio platinum' and am currently installing it. The install screen appears to show 'architect' included in the package. I have yet to try it so will report back in due course.
    Quote Quote