I know how to rip a Blu-ray to my PC but how do i get the subtitles with it? All the guides i find are way over complicated. I'm trying to do this for TV shows not a movie.
For example i rip the big bang theory with makemkv fire up videocoder/handbrake they see the subtitles and can put it into a MP4 file but you can not turn them on/off with vlc player, i think it's burned to the video.
Is there something i'm missing?
Thanks for the help!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
With OCR: Try to open the mkv created by MakeMKV with Subtitle Edit, then do the OCR and export to .srt. Add the .srt into HandBrake when re-encoding (untick "burn-in").
Faster without OCR: re-encode using from the MakeMKV mkv using HandBrake without any subtitles. Then use MKVToolNix GUI to open both MakeMKV mkv and HandBrake mkv/mp4 and select HandBrake video+audio but MakeMKV subtitle (i.e. untick the tracks you don't need). Then you can turn them on/off in VLC.
(For some reason HandBrake seems to only support burn-in if you open PGS-in-MKV.)
Last edited by sneaker; 20th Feb 2019 at 15:44.
Alternatively to OCR one can also use BDSup2Sup++ to convert the subtitle to idx/sub subtitles.users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
MP4 output + BITMAP subtitles = You are not going to be happy
1. Use MKV output container.
2. Burn them into the video (MP4 output container), permanently.
3. Search and download TEXT based subtitles.
4. OCR the subtitles to text.
5. Make a subtitle file from scratch
As a side note, since I have not problem with mp4 and idx/subs, if you have a mkv file with mp4 audio&video in it and pgs subtitles you can use Hybrid to remux to mp4 and at the same time convert the subtitles from pgs to idx/sub.
Here's how that can be done:
- Start Hybrid.
- Set default paths. (Config->Paths)
- Tell Hybrid to passthrough subtitles. (Config->Automation->Passthrough streams)
- Set audio&video to passthrough. ('Base->Processing->Video->passthrough','Base->Processing->audio->passthrough (all)')
- Enable automatic output name generation. ('Base->Generate')
- Load the source file. ('Base->Open file')
- Create a new entry into the 'Job-Queue'. ('Base->Add to queue'
- Start processing ('Jobs->Queue->Start')
Especially older devices (and software players) might not support mp4s with idx/sub subtitles, for me all my devices support it so it's a solution for me, but it might not be for you.
Cu Selurusers currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555