VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know how to rip a Blu-ray to my PC but how do i get the subtitles with it? All the guides i find are way over complicated. I'm trying to do this for TV shows not a movie.

For example i rip the big bang theory with makemkv fire up videocoder/handbrake they see the subtitles and can put it into a MP4 file but you can not turn them on/off with vlc player, i think it's burned to the video.

Is there something i'm missing?

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. With OCR: Try to open the mkv created by MakeMKV with Subtitle Edit, then do the OCR and export to .srt. Add the .srt into HandBrake when re-encoding (untick "burn-in").

Faster without OCR: re-encode using from the MakeMKV mkv using HandBrake without any subtitles. Then use MKVToolNix GUI to open both MakeMKV mkv and HandBrake mkv/mp4 and select HandBrake video+audio but MakeMKV subtitle (i.e. untick the tracks you don't need). Then you can turn them on/off in VLC.

(For some reason HandBrake seems to only support burn-in if you open PGS-in-MKV.)
    Last edited by sneaker; 20th Feb 2019 at 15:44.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Alternatively to OCR one can also use BDSup2Sup++ to convert the subtitle to idx/sub subtitles.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Alternatively to OCR one can also use BDSup2Sup++ to convert the subtitle to idx/sub subtitles.
    Nothing does it automatically since i have the disc? I don't mind paying since i have so many to do.

I did get it to work but the words would show to soon.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MP4 output + BITMAP subtitles = You are not going to be happy
    Realistic Options:
    1. Use MKV output container.
    2. Burn them into the video (MP4 output container), permanently.
    3. Search and download TEXT based subtitles.
    4. OCR the subtitles to text.
    5. Make a subtitle file from scratch
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    MP4 output + BITMAP subtitles = You are not going to be happy
    Realistic Options:
    1. Use MKV output container.
    2. Burn them into the video (MP4 output container), permanently.
    3. Search and download TEXT based subtitles.
    4. OCR the subtitles to text.
    5. Make a subtitle file from scratch
    Yuck to much trouble
    Quote Quote  
  7. As a side note, since I have not problem with mp4 and idx/subs, if you have a mkv file with mp4 audio&video in it and pgs subtitles you can use Hybrid to remux to mp4 and at the same time convert the subtitles from pgs to idx/sub.
    Here's how that can be done:
    1. Start Hybrid.
    2. Set default paths. (Config->Paths)
    3. Tell Hybrid to passthrough subtitles. (Config->Automation->Passthrough streams)
    4. Set audio&video to passthrough. ('Base->Processing->Video->passthrough','Base->Processing->audio->passthrough (all)')
    5. Enable automatic output name generation. ('Base->Generate')
    6. Load the source file. ('Base->Open file')
    7. Create a new entry into the 'Job-Queue'. ('Base->Add to queue'
    8. Start processing ('Jobs->Queue->Start')
    Hybrid will then passthrough audio&video, convert the subtitles from pgs to idx/sub using BDSup2Sub++, multiplex everything together into an mp4 file.
    Especially older devices (and software players) might not support mp4s with idx/sub subtitles, for me all my devices support it so it's a solution for me, but it might not be for you.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote