VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I just got a working Panasonic AG-1970 with a tape stuck. I was able to remove the the stuck tape easily be the cassette-in indicator does not go off. This is preventing me from inserting another tape. How do I fix this problem??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you try unplugging the vcr ?? and is the top cover off ??
    here is a troubleshooting guide - http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/vcrfaq.htm
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    I was able to remove the the stuck tape easily
    Exactly how did you do that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Unplug the VCR and removed the top. After removing the top tape was very easy to take out but after removing it it is still detecting a nonexistent tape and won't take any other tapes in.
    Last edited by RS456; 20th Feb 2019 at 21:03.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    And you left the cassette-up compartment in the down position? That could be the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Some of the sensors in a VCR require darkness to operate. When the cover is off, the lights from your work area will cause some of these sensors to malfunction. Try turning all the lights off, or try putting the cover back on (you don't have to screw it into place) and see if that solves the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    No the tape compartment it up as far as I can tell. Tape got stuck right before ejecting. Cassette is completely out but cassette-in indicator still on. Am I missing something else regarding this?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Some of the sensors in a VCR require darkness to operate. When the cover is off, the lights from your work area will cause some of these sensors to malfunction. Try turning all the lights off, or try putting the cover back on (you don't have to screw it into place) and see if that solves the problem.
    Just tried this a few minutes ago. Cover is on but still detecting nonexistent tape.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Check around the back of the tray for a switch that tells the VCR a tape has been inserted. It may be stuck or broken.

It could also be that the physical ejection sequence is not complete. Trace the power train that drives the cassette compartment back to its motor, then turn the motor shaft by hand. Does the compartment move? (It could take a LOT of manual turns.) You might find something jammed that's keeping it from full travel.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Check around the back of the tray for a switch that tells the VCR a tape has been inserted. It may be stuck or broken.

It could also be that the physical ejection sequence is not complete. Trace the power train that drives the cassette compartment back to its motor, then turn the motor shaft by hand. Does the compartment move? (It could take a LOT of manual turns.) You might find something jammed that's keeping it from full travel.
    My guess was also ejection cycle was not complete. I notice the cassette door is still in a position when a cassette is inserted. Any tips on where that wheel might be in Panasonic AG-1970/1980?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Looks like a PITA on this model since the capstan motor drives load/unload. You have to take off the bottom case panel and turn the capstan flywheel by hand, releasing a lock at every turn. Here is the apposite page from the service manual.

[Attachment 48156 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    That matched perfectly. Like in the instructions I pressed the lever and turned counter clockwise till the clutch disk stopped but it didn't fix my issue. VCR still detects a nonexistent tape. I think Cassette tray lock is out of place as the cassette tray doesn't lock into place when pushed back and down.. Maybe that out of place tray lever causing a nonexistent cassette detection.
    Last edited by RS456; 21st Feb 2019 at 13:46.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    You don't turn the motor just once. You have to turn it and press the lever, turn it and press the lever, and so on, probably many times, until the eject cycle completes. Which means you have to watch the top part of the deck to see what's happening with the loader.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Question how do I tell if there is not tape at all? I am suppose to repeat until? In my case there no tape and the tray is up so how would I know it completed it?

UPDATE:

I repeated until each spin got tighter until I heard a pop. The cassette tray lock was released and now locked in place with cassette but I don't think it fixed my problem yet. I will repeat this procedure with tape inside.
    Last edited by RS456; 21st Feb 2019 at 15:10.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Still no luck
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    At this point, who knows. Could be a problem with a different sensor near the reel tables. Or with an electronic component that is supposed to sense what is happening. Or the loader may be out of time with another part. Here is a link to the service manual if you want to deep-dive. I think you have to join the forum before you can download.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/attachments/vcr-repair/6359-service-manual-panasonic-p...vice_manualpdf
    Quote Quote  
  17. There is a loading timing gear on many VCRs. I know because I have a Philips that I was able to temporarily rescue by attempting to reset the timing. Its symptoms were that it would eject the tape as soon as you tried to load it. Other times, the cassette would not eject at all.

You absolutely need a service manual, if the problem is the timing gears, because resetting them is tricky.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    At this point, who knows. Could be a problem with a different sensor near the reel tables. Or with an electronic component that is supposed to sense what is happening. Or the loader may be out of time with another part. Here is a link to the service manual if you want to deep-dive. I think you have to join the forum before you can download.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/attachments/vcr-repair/6359-service-manual-panasonic-p...vice_manualpdf
    I joined but unable to download. Do you happen to be a premium member in that forum? I think that is a premium post? If so I would greatly appreciate it if you could download it for me and post it here through mediafire or similar.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry, that's lordsmurf's territory and his rules. Try Google and you may find it elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Now the Tape indicator problem is gone but now I have a new problem. It turns on for about 30 seconds and shows message "0 AE4" . Any idea how to fix that?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    Now the Tape indicator problem is gone but now I have a new problem. It turns on for about 30 seconds and shows message "0 AE4" . Any idea how to fix that?
    from here - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.electronics.repair/xQovJWhJuh0
    might be - e4 cylinder motor locked
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I found out it is Mechanism lock during unloading but how do I fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Something is blocking the mechanism. Could be a foreign object or maybe the parts are out of time with each other (see #17).
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Something blocking? I guess I have to dissect the whole thing again. I do hear a loose part when I shake it. Maybe that lose part blocking the mechanism somewhere? Also regarding the timing gear. Any guide how to fix that? I did get the service manual but it doesn't tell how to fix each type of issue.
    Quote Quote