VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm trying to capture some Studio Betacam SP tapes with the Sony J-3 deck using the SDI port of the deck, I'm capturing with BlackMagic UltraStudio SDI to USB device, I set the capture parameters to 525i/59.94 NTSC and AVI 10Bit YUV. Now for short clips it's all good, But when I capture long clips I start to get audio delay. I did a disc speed test with BlackMagic utility and shows for NTSC/PAL SD it should be good to go (This is my son's computer, mine doesn't have USB 3.0 port. It is AMD A6-7310 4GB RAM Win10 64Bit should enough for SD materials):

The other problem is for whatever reason, BlackMagic's Media Express capture app shows 720x486 instead of 720x480, Also there is no aspect ratio flag in the captured file but I guess that comes later after encoding the final files:

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	48133  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	48134  

Quote Quote  
  2. For SDI capture you need something better than 169.5 MB/s, that is why you are having issues, use SSD RAID 0. For blackmagic the mored SSD you put in RAID the better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuywNBctvg

Your system memory is too low, 4 GB of memory is the bare minimum required, because 4 GB is to be used by the software, you have to add an extra for your system so you need at least 8 GB . I'm working with 16 GB and depending of what I'm doing Davici complains that my system memory is too low.

About the 720x486, BM captures the whole signal it receives in 1:1 ratio or if the source flag something else like 5:4, 4:3, etc. if you need to force a 16:9 on SD source, you have to change it in the Media Express settings.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply, It's one of those all in one computers where the guts are built into the screen, But I will find a way to upgrade the HDD and the memory if that's possible, I will be capturing 4:3 materials so I don't need to force 16:9 unless it adds the black bars on the sides of the frame so the 4:3 aspect ratio is preserved.

Oh ok here is what I need to do, I have a similar machine:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOF6yrEY6z8
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Btw, 720x486 is appropriate for pro SD material captures. It's still 4:3 (unless videographer was going anamorphic, then 16:9). No other options are valid. Capture that way, then crop during editing, if necessary.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think I'll just leave it alone and save one step processing, 6 lines is not going to significantly affect the aspect ratio I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I put in a 8GB RAM and 1TB SSD and did the test again and the results tripled, I will have to do a long capture test to make sure the audio sync problem is fixed, If not then it has to be the processor:

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	48157  

Quote Quote