VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently started to use Sony Vegas 13 which doesn't accept MKV file types so I decided to install FFMPEG to convert a MKV to MP4 which people say has almost no loss in quality, etc. However, when I try to convert a ~900MB MKV file it returns a 0kb MP4 file.Image
    [Attachment 48120 - Click to enlarge]

The line of code I use is "ffmpeg -i set.mkv -codec copy set.mp4"

This is the error? message I get
    [Attachment 48121 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. The command line you used would result in NO loss of quality. All it does is remux the compressed streams from MKV to MP4. Like taking a cake out of one box and putting it in another. There is no change other than the box.

It's telling you what the problem is and how to fix it. Even after a successful fix you may not be able to play it on many devices.
    Quote Quote  
  3. follow ffmpeg advice, add '-strict -2' to commandline - FLAC is not officially supported by MP4 container.
    Quote Quote  
  4. you only want to convert MKV to MP4 then you will save quality and time by changing the
    containers. Both of these are just wrappers over the same content so the CPU only needs to do a
    small work. Don't re encode as you will definitely lose quality.

ffmpeg -i filename.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy 1.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ashokcool2636 View Post
    you only want to convert MKV to MP4 then you will save quality and time by changing the
    containers. Both of these are just wrappers over the same content so the CPU only needs to do a
    small work. Don't re encode as you will definitely lose quality.

ffmpeg -i filename.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy 1.mp4
    That's what he's doing. From his original post:

Originally Posted by lolmaisine View Post
    The line of code I use is "ffmpeg -i set.mkv -codec copy set.mp4"
    Quote Quote