VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. is playonlinux the best way to run programs for windows on linux ? is there anything better out there? i simply couldnt get wine to run on ubuntu no matter how i tried but then i installed playonlinux and was able to to install the version of wine inside playonlinux and run avisynth and notepad++ and virtualdub. all working nicely. is there a an easier or better way to run windows programs than playonlinux? i m very happy just curious thats all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing left is this, but it is commercial
    https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux.

There are plenty good Linux programs available, though you will have to learn how they work, an it is not guaranteed to have functions you want/need

I never had any succes with wine so i gave up and use native Linux tools
    Quote Quote  
  3. Crossover works fine for me on most Windows programs but to be honest, for most applications there are perfectly adequate it not better programs that do the same things natively for Linux these days. Crossover isn't expensive and you do get at least a years updates included.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All the above are front ends for Wine. WIne isn't something I'd recommend for anything work related, it's too unreliable. If that's the case dual booting or running WIndows in a VM is the way to go.
    Quote Quote