VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Does anyone have a full version of SpotRemover? It is the one found HERE: http://spotremoverfilter.com/

It looks like the plug-in has not been updated in a while and I cant hear jack back from whoever makes the plug-in when I email him. I don't have the time to learn how to deal with AVIsynth. The sad thing is, the only thing I wanted AVIsynth for was just to remove artifacts like Comets/Dropouts but no matter how I try or who answers me on ways to install it, I am not getting it done. I am almost ready to start using the heal brush in photoshop but that is a whole lot of frames and I am running out of options. AVIsynth really doesnt like me I guess.
    I am rockin' a quad core 4.20 Ghz AMD at the moment with 16gigs of RAM and a 8GB 1070 graphix card. I am sure it is not my setup stopping me from using AVIsynth but something is there that it doesn't like and I don't have time to keep D**king around with it. Does anyone have the full version of spotremover because it would be greatly appriciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. SpotRemover.vdf is an old VirtualDub plugin, not an AviSynth plugin. LoadVirtualDubPlugin() allows its use in AviSynth. I don't think the filter works in recent versions of VirtualDub or AviSynth. If you don't give details on exactly what you've done and what errors you're getting nobody is going to be able to help you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DiggyDre View Post
    The sad thing is, the only thing I wanted AVIsynth for was just to remove artifacts like Comets/Dropouts...
    If you're going to spend a lot of time improving on your videos, it's in your best interests to learn it.
    ...but no matter how I try or who answers me on ways to install it, I am not getting it done.
    I gave suggestions in an earlier thread of yours on how to go step-by-step in getting your scripts working. "not getting it done" doesn't cut it. If you have a problem you post a complete script and a complete error message from VDub. Otherwise no one can help.
    I am almost ready to start using the heal brush in photoshop
    I do plenty of work in photo editing programs myself, but only as a last resort. There are usually AviSynth filters that can do the job, or most of the job. And if you have a lot of dropouts to fix, you'll quickly get frustrated doing it all manually.
    I am rockin' a quad core...
    Nobody cares. AviSynth doesn't require the latest and greatest.
    ...something is there that it doesn't like and I don't have time to keep D**king around with it.
    Once again, follow the step by step and come back when you hit a roadblock. Often small successes (such as being able to just open a script) will encourage you to continue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You are so right, lol. Getting upset isn't going to help me any. I will just have to keep trying. I found it to be VERY tedious to manually go through every single frame which I am nowhere near done doing, but you are correct when you say trying to do it that way is actually an encouragment to keep trying to learn AVIsynth so I can script / automate the process, lol.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was wrong earlier. SpotRemover crashes with recent versions of VirtualDub but appears to work when imported into an AviSynth script.

Original : SpotRemover.vdf (via AviSynth script)
    [Attachment 48122 - Click to enlarge]

Note that some of the comets/spots are gone. My guess is you can reduce them further by tweaking the settings.

With the native RemoveDirtMC(30) in AviSynth:
    [Attachment 48119 - Click to enlarge]

One small comet left in the woman's moving hair but otherwise clean.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Feb 2019 at 21:39.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    My experience with the VDub remove spots filter is that it didn't remove anything, period. Avisynth is still the only way to go. Various versions of RemoveSpots, RemoveSpotsMC, and RemoveDirtMC will do the trick when you learn to use them. Even dfttest can do a little of that work as well.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    My experience with the VDub remove spots filter is that it didn't remove anything, period.
    In the video I was testing (called from AviSynth) it removed most of the comets and other small blemishes.

I was able to get it working with some videos and a recent version of VirtualDub. With other videos VirtualDub crashed once the filter was added.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Feb 2019 at 07:47.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't have a crash problem. All I got was a softened video, including softened spots. Maybe we're talking about different filters, or different versions.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote