VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Having tough time with editing a video I captured from screen

This video has a resolution of 1914 X 1074

The issue is that it is squeezed vertically. Horizontally its fine

So I just want to keep the horizontal measurements same and extend it a bit vertically

I decided to edit it to 1914 by 1220 pixels

Using resize filter in avidemux I gave the above values and did the edit.

But the resulting video has height fixed, but the width became shorter as well.

I don't want to change the width at all.

Is it possible to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your video is not standard - IMHO you should pad video to 1920x1080 and you should set correct aspect ratio - decoder will do remaining job to match video to display capabilities.
    Last edited by pandy; 16th Feb 2019 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Your video is not standard - IMHO you should pad video to 1920x1080 and you should set correct aspect ratio - decoder will do remaining job to match video to display capabilities.
    May I know how to do that?

As set the pixels ad 1920 X 1080 in resize filter
    Then selected aspect ratio 16:9

Still width got reduced and height got increased..

I want width to span entire screen (not change)
    Last edited by navarannan; 16th Feb 2019 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you watching your video on a 1920x1080 (or other 16:9) monitor? Then you expect pillarbox bars while viewing full screen because the video has to be scaled from 1920x1220 to 1700x1080 to fit the screen.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Feb 2019 at 21:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Are you watching your video on a 1920x1080 (or other 16:9) monitor? Then you expect pillarbox bars while viewing full screen because the video has to be scaled from 1920x1220 to 1700x1080 to fit the screen.
    This is how the video looks on my 1080p HD monitor(spans fully across the width of the monitor), but this has the face of characters squeezed vertically. Also see the setting when this video is opened in avidemux

Now I appy the filter as
    1914 X 1220 ( I assume the width is same but the height is expanded)

When I open the edited video this is how it looks

The issue is the width also got reduced and now it doesnt span across the whole width of the monitor. The video had become smaller
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please provide a short clip if you can, 10 15 seconds is enough
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Please provide a short clip if you can, 10 15 seconds is enough
    Here you go
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1er1rEz_HXq7cm9Dw4M-fT8rJjW-XvgTI
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want to keep the letterbox (black border top and bottom) ?
    Or just crop that out and resize the actual movie ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Do you want to keep the letterbox (black border top and bottom) ?
    Or just crop that out and resize the actual movie ?
    Yes. I would like the letter box. All I want to do is to stretch the face so they look real.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The width isn't being reduced by AviDemux. It's being reduced by the player because your monitor is 16:9, not 16:10. You need to crop away some of the letterbox bars to maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio. Ie, upscale to 1914x1220 then crop 72 lines off the top and bottom leaving 1914x1076.

I didn't verify that 1914x1220 is the right size to upscale to. I just used your values.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Feb 2019 at 23:30.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The width isn't being reduced by AviDemux. It's being reduced by the player because your monitor is 16:9, not 16:10. You need to crop away some of the letterbox bars to maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio. Ie, upscale to 1914x1220 then crop 72 lines off the top and bottom leaving 1914x1076.

I didn't verify that 1914x1220 is the right size to upscale to. I just used your values.
    upscale to 1914x1220 :- Do you mean resize to 1914 X 1220
    crop 72 lines off the top and bottom leaving 1914x1076. :- How do we do this

Sorry Im being so basic here
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a quick and dirty fix, crop top, bottom and sides, resize to 1:85 aspect ratio giving width of 1920, then re-add the borders top and bottom
    to give 1920x1080
    The clip has some frame rate problem also, it's quite jerky
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by davexnet; 17th Feb 2019 at 00:01. Reason: fixed the stated width!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Here's a quick and dirty fix, crop top, bottom and sides, resize to 1:85 aspect ratio giving width of 1080, then re-add the borders top and bottom
    to give 1920x1080
    Yeah I noticed the video is jerky..

But in the original screenrecord its not

I cut a portion in copy mode using avidemux. Then it became jerky
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by navarannan View Post
    1914 * 9 / 16 ~= 1076.

Or, if your player displays it correctly, crop away all the black borders, leaving about 1874x840.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Feb 2019 at 00:26.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by navarannan View Post
    1914 * 9 / 16 ~= 1076.

Or, if your player displays it correctly, crop away all the black borders, leaving about 1874x840.
    Sorry how did you get that figure 9/16?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Here's a quick and dirty fix, crop top, bottom and sides, resize to 1:85 aspect ratio giving width of 1920, then re-add the borders top and bottom
    to give 1920x1080
    Hey mate..
    Im a bit stuck at "resize to 1:85 aspect ratio giving width of 1920"
    Is the aspect ratio correct?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by navarannan View Post
    The issue is the width also got reduced and now it doesnt span across the whole width of the monitor. The video had become smaller
    On playback, the player has to fit 1914x1222 into a 16:9 "hole", and as the picture is now "taller" than 16:9, the player has to add black bars to the sides.
    ie the 1222 height has to be reduced to 1080 on playback (assuming a 1080p display), so the width is reduced by the same percentage, meaning it'd be less than 1914, then the player adds black to the sides for 1920x1080.

I never encode black borders. It seems pointless and if you add borders for a standard 1920x1080 16:9 aspect ratio and one day buy a TV with a wider display than 16:9, the player will have to add borders to the sides so the picture will match the aspect ratio of the screen. Unless you zoom in. Anyway.....

Using Avidemux first crop the black. Something like 22 left, 26 right, 170 top, 168 bottom. Then assuming the remaining picture is supposed to be 1.85, which looks about right, you can resize to any 1.85 dimensions. Personally, I'd downscale as there's not an abundance of detail, probably to something like 1280x688 (1280/688=1.86, which is close). If you really like pointless borders, you could add 16 pixels top and bottom for 1280x720 (720p).

The same principle applies to upscaling, so after cropping the black you could resize to 1920x1040 (close to 1.85) and add 20 pixels worth of pointlessness to the top and bottom for 1920x1080.

If you think 1.85 isn't quite right, after cropping the existing black, resize to your preferred dimensions instead, but it's probably better to use the above method rather than resize the existing black along with the picture. If you want black borders for a standard 16:9 resolution, add the appropriate amount of black to the height (and/or width) once you're happy the picture looks right.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	48113  

Last edited by hello_hello; 17th Feb 2019 at 09:44.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by navarannan View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    1914 * 9 / 16 ~= 1076.

16:9 aspect ratio.

Universal equation for aspect ratios:
    Code:
    DAR = FAR * SAR

DAR = display aspect ratio, the final shape of the picture
    FAR = frame aspect ratio, frame_width:frame_height
    SAR = sampling aspect ratio, relative distance between pixels, horizontally:vertically
    Somebody upscaled an anamorphic standard definition source without compensating for the non-square SAR of the source. By resizing to 1914x1220 you converted to square pixels (SAR 1:1).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    1914 * 9 / 16 ~= 1076.

16:9 aspect ratio.

Universal equation for aspect ratios:
    Code:
    DAR = FAR * SAR

DAR = display aspect ratio, the final shape of the picture
    FAR = frame aspect ratio, frame_width:frame_height
    SAR = sampling aspect ratio, relative distance between pixels, horizontally:vertically
    Somebody upscaled an anamorphic standard definition source without compensating for the non-square SAR of the source. By resizing to 1914x1220 you converted to square pixels (SAR 1:1).
    I did something which actually fixed the problem with AR.
    But based on the understanding I have from this thread, it doesn't make sense to me.

Here is what I did

Original video 1920 X 1080

1. Cropped all the black borders around the video to get full screen of picture -> 1880 X 750

2. Resized to -> 1920 X 920

3. Add 80 lines top and 80 lines bottom to bring it to 1920 X 1080

However the video after step 2 and step 3 looks the same.

Why is that. Attached a screenshot of each step..
    Does that mean I can save around an hour of Step3?
    Quote Quote  
  20. When you play a 1920x920 video full screen on a 1920x1080 monitor the player adds letterbox bars to fill the screen. That's why cases 2 and 3 look the same.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by navarannan View Post
    Why is that. Attached a screenshot of each step..
    Does that mean I can save around an hour of Step3?
    Not that I'd bother adding borders myself, because as jagabo said, if you don't add borders the player will add them as required on playback anyway (as opposed to stretching the picture to fill the screen instead), but why does adding them take an extra hour? Maybe I'm missing something, but normally you'd configure your encoding program to crop, resize and add borders as required (as per the screenshot in my previous post), and from there the cropped/resized/bordered output is encoded, so from that perspective it's all done in a single step.

PS. When I cropped the black I ended up with picture dimensions of 1866x736. Your cropped picture is 1880x750, so I assume you didn't crop all the black, even if there wasn't much remaining.
    Personal preference.... I always aim to crop all the black, and as sometimes the "line" between border and picture isn't sharp, I'll crop a few pixels worth of picture too if need be. That way the edges of the picture are sharp rather than fuzzy, which I find annoying. Maybe it's a form of OCD but I'd crop to achieve something similar to the second screenshot rather than the first, whether you decide to add borders yourself or not, but that's just me.... (the full size pic looks better than the thumbnail version, because the resizing to thumbnail size messes with the border edges).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	48128  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	48129  

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th Feb 2019 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote