VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Search PM
    Hey everybody,
    in the last few days I've been working on a video that suffers from many problems, one of them is that it's got very 'weak' and washed-out colours.

    In order to try to correct this issue, I compared this video to a far superior source, with nice colours, but so far I didn't get any decent result. Would anybody be so kind to help me, please?

    Here you find some screenshots: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130199
    (The second one can be quite misleading, because I know that any colour correction won't lead me to that kind of result)
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. white balance + saturation should help - create histograms to understand nature of difference between those two. You may try to adjust parameters to match histogram of video you consider better.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You should provide video samples, not images. But a quick adjustment:

    good, bad.Tweak(cont=1.2, bright=10, sat=2.7, hue=8), bad:

    Image
    [Attachment 48090 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. To me, the over-saturated version looks worse. Simply turning up saturation is probably not going to make it look better. NTSC and PAL color was pretty sketchy to begin with (NTSC was worse), and if this was on consumer videotape, all three formats threw away what little color information was in the original broadcast signal.

    I don't have any good suggestions, other than use the better source. Is there a reason you are not doing that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I don't have any good suggestions, other than use the better source. Is there a reason you are not doing that?
    Unfortunately, the better source is from a DVD which features two concerts mixed together, and it lasts less than 1hr; the other source is the uncut 2 and half hrs of a single show, that's why I need to work with the bad-looking one. Anyway, I'll try to post some snippets (I'll have to look at the DVD and find out which scene is from the concert I want to tweak).

    Thanks a lot for the suggestions, in some spots it looks way way better, but in some other ones it looks too strong, at least in my opinion. I'll post the videos as soon as possible, thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Marcoh_ View Post
    <snip> ... in some spots it looks way way better, but in some other ones it looks too strong, at least in my opinion. I'll post the videos as soon as possible, thanks again
    The problem, especially with NTSC, but I think it applies to PAL as well, is that not all the colors were recorded with the same saturation. Therefore, if there is a fix for this, it will probably involve gaining the saturation differently for different parts of the spectrum. Also, I have no expertise in color spaces and someone else will have to help, but I'll bet that converting the video to the right color space (YUV, RGB, etc.) may make the restoration work better.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    The problem, especially with NTSC, but I think it applies to PAL as well, is that not all the colors were recorded with the same saturation. Therefore, if there is a fix for this, it will probably involve gaining the saturation differently for different parts of the spectrum. Also, I have no expertise in color spaces and someone else will have to help, but I'll bet that converting the video to the right color space (YUV, RGB, etc.) may make the restoration work better.
    Thanks for the tip. I've managed to extract some snippets from the two sources ('DVD' is the better one, 'BOOT' is the other). The files tagged with '4 aug' are taken from the show I talked about in this thread, and if you can give some more tip I would be very grateful.

    But there's the other show -tagged with '11aug'- which, in my opinion, is even worse than the 4aug. I've managed to clean it up a little bit, but if you are able to suggest something about the colours, once again it would be great.

    Here you find the snippets, and sorry for being so rambling.
    https://mega.nz/#F!Rt5lTKqJ!TJWEpepLVD0cDGrjp4zGDg
    Quote Quote  
  8. Different shots need different fixes. Here's one:

    Code:
    ColorYUV(gain_y=50, gamma_y=50, off_y=-8, cont_u=350, cont_v=500)
    BOOT 4aug_1.avi : DVD 4aug_1.avi
    Image
    [Attachment 48098 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads