VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As in the topic in all video encoders (ffmpeg, HC 1p, HC 2p) the resulting video is bigger than can fit on DVD and the process is aborted.
    This is standard DVD-R SL, the minimum bitrate is set to 500, max to 9000, the video file is 4:06 hours, which I know is much, but should fit and the averae bitrate in ffmpeg window floats around 900-1200 kbps.

Why cannot it be forced to encode at bitrate appropriate to fit on DVD and instead goes above the DVD size?

How can it be fixed?
    Last edited by SF01; 14th Feb 2019 at 14:32. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post the avstodvd log here in the thread, sometimes it yields clues
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here they are.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably because the video bitrate, 907 kbps is too low for the encoder to properly manage.
    Using avamat7 matrix will help to keep the average quantizer reasonable, but it may not be enough.

Try setting half D1 for the video resolution and consider switching to compressed ac/3 for the audio.
    eg. 2-channel 256 kbps
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    davenext is correct. There minimum encoder bitrates, even if they usually aren't mentioned. Has partly to do with buffer underflow, IIRC.

I would go further and say to use D1 for 3-3.5Mbps and above, use 1/2 D1 for 1.5-3/3.5, and use CIF (aka 1/4 D1) for less than 1.5Mbps.
    Also, shave off even more by using 192, 128, or 96kbps for the AC3 audio.

However, you shouldn't be having any major issues if you are using a Dual Layer disc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Half D1 and aac are not an option.
    Only full 720x576 and LPCM.

DVD-R DL are hard to come by and expensive.

The only solution that interests me is to force encoder to fit it in 720x576 with LPCM on DVD-R SL.

If not with AVS, then with something else.

Or I could manually use ffmpeg to achieve the result, the question is the command line parameters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If those are "not an option", you are out of luck with <edit>SINGLE</edit> 4-hour SL DVD. You will be bit-starving the video, and likely will not find an encoder that would work in such a non-standard way.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 15th Feb 2019 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I once had similar situation with 3:54 hour long video, ffmpeg oversized, but HC did the trick, few minutes more and both fail.

The option is to do compression in ffmpeg and them input that file to avs2dvd for second and see if it works, or split the video in half and use 2 dvds...

I'd be using DVD-R DL, if they were available and not ooverpriced...
    Quote Quote