VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to reduce file size of my MKV rips and have been removing any redundant tracks. Are there any pros in keeping a DTS 5.1 audio file if a DTS-HD 5.1 is also available? Would there ever be an instance that DTS-HD 5.1 wouldn't be compatible or that I would need a DTS 5.1 over a DTS-HD 5.1 track?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DTS-HD contains both the DTS track along with residual corrective data to make it lossless, all in a single track. You can actually copy out the DTS track from the DTS-HD track. If your rip contains both a DTS and DTS-HD track, and they are the same mix and same language then I can't think of a reason to keep both tracks. From what I read, DTS-HD is supported on all DTS devices but if the device does not support DTS-HD then the residual corrective data is simply ignored and normal DTS is played.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    DTS-HD contains both the DTS track along with residual corrective data to make it lossless, all in a single track. You can actually copy out the DTS track from the DTS-HD track. If your rip contains both a DTS and DTS-HD track, and they are the same mix and same language then I can't think of a reason to keep both tracks. From what I read, DTS-HD is supported on all DTS devices but if the device does not support DTS-HD then the residual corrective data is simply ignored and normal DTS is played.

Thank you for the well explained response!
    Quote Quote  
  4. One thing is very important - your player and your DTS decoder may be not able to deal with DTS-HD. For example older S/PDIF is unable to deal with anything higher than 1536kbps... So separate DTS may be more compatible even if every DTS decoder should ignore all extensions to DTS.
    Quote Quote