VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a mini dv tape that I captured to an avi file with windv. For some reason the tape had 2 different audio sampling rates, 32 khz and 48 khz. The 32 khz plays fine but there is no audio on the 48 khz. During capture, I could hear the sound from the camcorder throughout the whole tape but avi file does not play the later part. It shows the video though.

I had one similar tape yesterday and it was easily fixed following the steps in the following thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/279415-Simplest-way-to-join-AVI-files-with-difffer...Sampling-rates

But the steps don't work on this tape.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Subhash; 12th Feb 2019 at 18:13.
    Thanks.

Subhash
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    WinDV uses the first audio sample rate it encounters for the whole capture. You need to stop the capture at the end of the 32 kHz section and do a new capture for the 48 kHz section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    WinDV uses the first audio sample rate it encounters for the whole capture. You need to stop the capture at the end of the 32 kHz section and do a new capture for the 48 kHz section.
    Hmm. But how come the steps for video conversion in virtual dub in the thread posted above worked for my other avi.
    Thanks.

Subhash
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DV avi files are different than standard avi files. Standard avi files are all equivalent to type2, but with no portion of the audio stream subsumed within the video stream.
    Type1 dv has no separate audio stream - only the subsumed stream. Type2 dv has a copy of the subsumed stream pulled out to a standard audio stream, along with the original audio stream subsumed with video.

99percent of apps these days work with type2.
    If windv capped a 32khz stream that should be 48 (or vice-versa), all the copy stream has audio and it is fairly trivial to do SRC on it.
    If windv capped a mixed rate stream, the original subsumed stream will be mixed, but probably flagged as 1st-seen rate. The copy stream will probably be all 1st-seen rate (where the 2nd-seen rate will be off-speed & off-pitch, or worse, garbled & skippy), might be part heard & part silent, maybe just all silent. Depends on the smarts of the app.
    But under no circumstances would it be expected to just track the rate and change mid-stream.

Capture in segments.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Cornucopia for a detailed reply, half of which I didn't understand. LOL.

Bottom line is "Capture in segments".
    Thanks.

Subhash
    Quote Quote