VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I have the following video sample (length 15 secs), where the image got distorted after stabilization had been applied.

https://mega.nz/#!BUMQ1AQJ!7P5aEaMLxLaXsHtL62ep83NT6NNdVIriL1tcCMmSgWg

Which filter would you recommend to fix the distortion?

Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. It looks like rolling shutter artifacts

What did it look like before stabilization ?

It was probably already there to some extent before; maybe the stabilizer you used exacerbated them

What did you use to stabilize ? Some can take into account RS to some degree, such as mercalli, warp stabilizer . AE also has a rolling shutter repair filter
    Quote Quote  
  3. Rolling shutter distortions are created by the camera. You probably just didn't notice them in the original video because of all the shaking. Once you remove the shaking the problem becomes very obvious.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try mercalli on the original it has a mode for rolling shutter

https://www.prodad.com/Video-Stabilization-for-Professionals/Mercalli-V4-SAL-Win-29795,l-us.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. DeShaker for VirtualDub has rolling shutter compensation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What did you use to stabilize ?
    I applied "Light Stabilization" preset in Vegas. The shot was taken from inside the car while moving. Without stabilization it is even worst.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DeShaker for VirtualDub has rolling shutter compensation.
    I will try it and give you feedback on this.

Somewhere I read that QTGMC filter in Avisynth can do some corrections, in terms of stabilization/rolling shutter artifacts (?) I am not sure because I didn't find the link anymore. If yes, can someone post the code, i would give a try with Avisynth first.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by marius2du View Post
    I applied "Light Stabilization" preset in Vegas. The shot was taken from inside the car while moving. Without stabilization it is even worst.

Yes, but vegas' light stabilization will not address the cmos rolling shutter issues;

If you process it twice - you incur additional loss resulting in softer picture - because you're going to be zooming in and resizing/transforms twice

I suggest using a proper stabilizer that can handle RS , like mercalli or warp stabilizer - and only once. Deshaker is not as good for RS handling, but go ahead and try it

eg. warp stabilizer on your already processed video (you should get better results if you process original video) . The main goal here was to "fix" the warping / wobble from cmos artifacts , straighten up the buildings, etc...

There are vibration artifacts and the motion blur in the source will cause the picture to go in/out of focus at times , even though the camera motion seems "smooth". It's a surreal experience, unnatural. But this is common for stabilized cmos video. There are ways to improve those frames by interpolating over them, but it requires user input to identify frame ranges
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. @Nilzzon Thanks for the input. I will give it a try also with this one.
    @poisondeathray It looks good. What did you use to achieve this ?

Unfortunately I don't have anymore the original video, as I am getting rid of the small pieces captured by the camera and I keep one long edited segment (yes, i know, bad habit)
    So I can only work with the already processed one.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by marius2du View Post
    @poisondeathray It looks good. What did you use to achieve this ?
    I mentioned it above - Adobe Warp Stabilizer
    Quote Quote