VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Asus laptop that was given to me a few years ago. I don't use it much and it's inactive for a few months, so the battery runs down. I noticed that when I plug in the AC (charger) power, it won't accept the passwords for login. If I re-boot (I had it in Hibernate) and wait a while until the battery charges a bit it starts working normally. There is an account without a password so I can check the battery status. This had me thinking I had forgotten the password when I first experienced the problem and I was about to get out the "rescue disk" with a PW reset utility. Any ideas why it does this? As long as I'm aware of it I can work around it but if I ever give the laptop to someone else I suppose I could remove the passwords altogether.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Take out laptop battery for few seconds and then place it again and power on laptop. Then you can enter password. (This troubleshooting will work if your keyboard is not working and key pad is responding)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Some laptops, I'm not sure about your particular model, have a second 'coin' battery to keep the CMOS memory and the real-time clock running. It may be worthwhile opening it up an replacing it, they usually have a life expectancy of around 5 years and are typically CR2032 types. Exactly how long they last depends on the time it is attached to the AC supply as that takes over from the battery when present. I have an old Toshiba laptop here that has a ni-cad rechargeable secondary battery, not a clever idea, it has to be replaced about once a year!

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, this sounds stupid but the login problem seems to have been caused by some keys on the keyboard that weren't making good contact.
    I think most of us type in passwords quickly and you can't see what's being typed for security reasons. Two letters in the password that I use weren't being entered when I pressed the keys. If I press the keys very slowly and deliberately, it usually works.
    I verified this using Notepad to check the keyboard on that laptop and several keys were a problem, probably from not using it for several weeks or more at a time. Well, I usually go down the wrong road with some of these problems but eventually get it right.

I was getting the laptop ready to use with my Hauppauge PVR2 for composite capture of some VHS tapes and Laserdiscs. A second laptop is handy because I won't have to change capture settings between HDMI and composite signals, just use the appropriate laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The original concept is bonkers and the CMOS battery is not related to any possible login issue.
    Quote Quote