VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I wonder if the Mplayer is better than mpv? I understand that the mpv is a fork of mplayer.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your hardware is old mplayer may be better, mpv broke a lot of compatibility. mpv has better hardware decoding but believe it or not the mpv devs recommend turning that off. HW decoding doesn't work with all formats etc and that can be hard to debug.

I turn it off, HW decoding made a lot more sense 20 years ago. I've tested with HW decoding both on and off and cannot see any difference in cpu load either way. And that was on pretty old hardware.

Try them both, mpv may be better supported. I use mplayer (as a backend for SMplayer) but that's because I understand the settings better.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mplayer as same as mencoder is no longer actively developed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
    mplayer as same as mencoder is no longer actively developed.
    That's not actually true, at least for Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are spreading lies, give actual facts, just looks at their recent commits, nothing relevant.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are spreading lies, give actual facts, just looks at their recent commits, nothing relevant.
    I'm not going to search for you, mine was updated recently.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Updated with what? You lack certain skills.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Updated with what? You lack certain skills.
    Videohelp's software page for MPlayer says new versions were released for Windows and for Linux on December 25, 2018.

The latest news at MPlayer's website site states "2019-01-12, Saturday :: MPlayer is not dead yet!" and says there is a small team keeping up with ffmpeg changes, adding codecs and maintain the codec lists. However, it doesn't mention any other sort of development.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks guys for the replies.

Yes, it seems the Mplayer is being updated although the mpv player appears to be more actively updated than the Mplayer. I've the SMPlayer 19.1.0 installed and I just found out that it has r37955 installed with it. I don't know what is that. I guess I can use the latest version of Mplayer by changing it in the settings. I tried the "mpv" player but it uses more memory.
    I wonder about what are the best options and filters one should use with them?

Thanks
    Quote Quote