VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a number of 'split' DVD's (vob's) that I want to convert to a single mp4. I already converted most of these to mp4's, I just need to join them.

I have spent part of a day trying to find a somewhat simple 'Joiner'/'Merge' program, but couldn't.
    I thought MP4Tools was it, but after wasting an hour I now find out it's only a 'Wintel' program, no AMD which is BS. It would of been the ideal program except for the authors narrow-mindedness.

Most of the basic 'video editors' don't seem to have a 'join' option that I could see. I did try Movavi, but the resulting file was humongous. The two test files I was 'joining' were only around 850MB, but the end result, even after using a 'custom' resolution (716x366), the resulting size was 1.4GB, almost twice the size. No idea why.

Any suggestions? I really don't need a full editor.
    When not in use, turn off the juice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Smart Renderer (payware, with trial)
    Totally worth it.
    Can also fix constant audio skew.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    I have a number of 'split' DVD's (vob's) that I want to convert to a single mp4. I already converted most of these to mp4's, I just need to join them.

I have spent part of a day trying to find a somewhat simple 'Joiner'/'Merge' program, but couldn't.
    I thought MP4Tools was it, but after wasting an hour I now find out it's only a 'Wintel' program, no AMD which is BS. It would of been the ideal program except for the authors narrow-mindedness.

Most of the basic 'video editors' don't seem to have a 'join' option that I could see. I did try Movavi, but the resulting file was humongous. The two test files I was 'joining' were only around 850MB, but the end result, even after using a 'custom' resolution (716x366), the resulting size was 1.4GB, almost twice the size. No idea why.

Any suggestions? I really don't need a full editor.

Have you tried Avidemux?

Or FFmpeg?

Code:
    ffmpeg -f concat -i list.txt -c copy joined.mp4
    List.txt should contain a list of the files you want to join, like this:

file 'file1'
    file 'file2'
    file 'file3'
    file 'file4'
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    VOBs on DVD are split after 1 GB on a binary level. It is recommended you first append the VOBs (e.g. using ffmpeg's "concat protocol" *), then convert to whatever you want. Otherwise you risk problems at the split points.

* (You can read about ffmpeg's appending modes ("concat demuxer" as mentioned by sfu10 vs. "concat protocol") here.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sfu10 View Post

Have you tried Avidemux?
    For simple splitting/joining of similar type files, this would be my recommendation as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can "concatenate" them too. In a DOS window. I just don't remember how to do it. I did do it myself before, so I know its doable. Heck yeah, theres no reencoding either.

Thats one of the reasons why Mpeg2 is an excellent editing format.
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th Feb 2019 at 16:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Avidemux is a great tool for doing this, but it only merges video and audio components. Is there a way to include the chapters and chapter names that may exist in the separate files?
    Quote Quote