VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations for good video splitters that are very robust. I've tried trial versions of Boilsoft and SolveigMM, but they have given various issues on the exported video (jumpy and/or held frames, etc). With SolveigMM being nearly ideal in how it works with markers.

Are there any other splitters that you would recommend that uses markers to cut and consolidate segments? I generally work with 1080p videos.

System specs: 32gb ram / i7 / GPU 1080
    Last edited by jimmy80; 1st Feb 2019 at 08:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you looking to recode or just copy segments , key frame cut point only? If you are trying to cut midpoint between key frames, and copy only, you will most likely get frozen frames.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Just to save segments merged into one file. SolveigMM was the closest thing to what I need (seems it has issues with HEVC (265) format that it can't handle too well. Tried on x264 and it worked fine. But I don't have any x264 versions for my current needs (without encoding, which defeats the purpose).

Yes just at start/end frames of a sequence.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many splitters and editors use FFMpeg as their engine to cut and as such, the cut point will be copied to a new file BUT referenced to the preceding I-Frame or Following I-Frame depending on the -ss xxx option being input or output. This is because FFmpeg doesn't check to see if your cut point is EXACTLY an I-Frame point. This causes videos to have frozen frame, black frames, stating they are 16 seconds long but only playing for 8, etc.

Even the editors that use their own methods will often leave 'Overhead' at the beginning of a segment when COPIED. Maybe someone else knows of a program that is frame accurate the does not leave audio only at the beginning but I haven't found it yet. If there is one that doesn't, it is a 'Smart' cutter, recoding only what it needs to to be frame accurate. These I do not know because I found a way to 'force' FFMpeg to cut at the correct I-Frame with a DTS time of 0.00000 (H264 AVS AAC MP4, FLV so far) but as a CLI only, not GUI.

You can check you segments by using FFprobe from CMD screen:

Code:
    ffprobe.exe -i "C:\Path\6ETé č_First1_0.mp4" -select_streams v -print_format compact -show_entries frame=pkt_pts_time -read_intervals %+#10 > "C:\Path\6ETé č_First1_0_ffprobe1st.txt"
    If you use a .CMD or .BAT file:

Code:
    ffprobe.exe -i "C:\Path\6ETé č_First1_0.mp4" -select_streams v -print_format compact -show_entries frame=pkt_pts_time -read_intervals %%+#10 > "C:\Path\6ETé č_First1_0_ffprobe1st.txt"
    You were probably looking for a GUI that does this but I do not know of one that works correctly after checking with ffprobe.

For this reason I am attempting to write a GUI that cuts only at I-Frame after finding them from a general area of cut. It will play the segment with frame and DTS times embedded or display the first frame as JPG to make sure the preceding segment ends prior to the next I-Frame. The resulting video contains only the frames asked for.

It has no time line, cut point flags, can only do several segment at a time but it has preview, corrects DTS to 0.00000 even if original does not start there.
    It is slow, buggy and I have no idea how it will handle an h265 video since I do not have any currently. It does what I need by cutting only at I-frame, for the length that I need and does NO recoding at all. Turning it into a 'Smart' cutter will be the next task after making sure bugs and H.265 videos are covered... if I live long enough. LOL

[Attachment 47957 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Budman1, Haha I'm sure you will! Thanks for the great info on it as helps to understand what's going on behind the scenes. I've tried converting a few 'throw-away' things with VidCoder to and from h264 and h265, to see what the issues are. Definitely something more with the h265. Maybe you can try h265 with VidCoder for your own project? Indeed I'm more of a GUI guy. haha

- James
    Quote Quote