VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have multiple Hi8/Digital8 camcorders and VCRs, and I'm looking for the best way to clean the heads. I've heard q-tips are scratch or pull the heads, alcohol will rust the heads, chamois swabs will break the heads, cleaning tapes smear dust around, what should I do. I have an old VHS cleaning cassette.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Use 99 percent isopropyl alcohol, chamois swabs, and a very light touch. If that's too much trouble, use the cleaning cassette.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Use 99 percent isopropyl alcohol, chamois swabs, and a very light touch. If that's too much trouble, use the cleaning cassette.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KCz59TCy8E

Like this?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    Wasn't that the cotton?
    I was pointing out the long discussion and disagreement about what to use. There are dozens of threads about head cleaning. They always devolve into arguments like that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KCz59TCy8E

Like this?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wasn't that the cotton?
    It can never be said enough: never use cotton swabs.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I was pointing out the long discussion and disagreement about what to use. There are dozens of threads about head cleaning. They always devolve into arguments like that.
    That thread had arguing? Seems tame to me.
    91%+ IPA and non-cotton foam/chamois/dSLR swabs. That's the simple formula. Most there knew this.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Wasn't that the cotton?

91%+ IPA and non-cotton foam/chamois/dSLR swabs. That's the simple formula. Most there knew this.
    Why exactly is cotton bad for VCR heads? Does it just leave cotton bits everywhere which takes days to remove, or does it actually do permanent damage to a VCR?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen heads cleaned by a professional. He used cotton swabs but would NEVER touch the heads with them. He soaked them in isopropyl and used the swabs to dribble it over the heads.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Why exactly is cotton bad for VCR heads? Does it just leave cotton bits everywhere which takes days to remove, or does it actually do permanent damage to a VCR?
    Debris is one problem. More seriously, cotton fiber loops can snag the head and break it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is Isopropanol 99% the correct thing ?

i didn't find any chamois sticks ..is chamois for car care ok ? should i wash them before use ?

and what about using a piece of paper like some do ?

and for the other parts along the tape path ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Wasn't that the cotton?

Hope this is okay. Instead of cluttering site with new thread. I recently got a 8MM player/recorder, it even has a built in tv, on eBay, and when I record stuff on brand new tapes, it has a lot of noise and jumpy. So I have a few questions. Please advise at your convenience.

1. If I go the cassette cleaner route, instead of opening up the device and cleanig with swabs, is there any distinction between a head cleaner tape made specifically for camcorders, versus one made specifically for players/decks? Most of these 8mm tape cleaners are advertised for camcordes. So I wonder if it's safe to play them in non-camcorders.

2. If I go the swab or foam route... Would something like this be safe? DSLR SWABS.

3. Lastly, in general, when I watch youtube tutorials, or read tutorials on how to clean head cleaners. Are all these advice basically the same for all video cassette playrs? For example, VHS vcr vs 8mm player. They both use the same type of head, right?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Jumpy" is not dirty heads.
    "Noise" often is not either.

Cleaning heads is far too often treated as a cure-all to treat whatever ails a deck. And, of course, usually fails to do anything. Worse yet, wrong cleaning methods just make matters worse.

Sensor swabs are fine. For years, I used extras that I had on hand. (I quit using on my cameras as often because I upgraded to the auto-cleaning models, which removed dust.)

These days, I do the copy paper method. Strip up an A4 or 8x11, fold into squares. Put 91% IPA on paper, press gently but firmly against heads, rotate. Remove, repeat, until paper clean. Not fibrous paper, not recycled. Literally standard white copy paper. I use the same 20 lb that I have in my printer, bought from Sam's or Walmart or Office Depot.

"Cleaner" tapes don't clean, but rather just move dirt around. Those were for low-knowledge consumers in the 80s/90s. Don't do that now.

Youtube has lots of idiots when it comes to videotapes. Don't do what they do.

Yes, cameras somewhat clean the same as VCRs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote