VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to edit a dvd on my Mac and my Bootcamp partition but the VIDEO_TS folder is showing 51.31GB but the disc shows 4.73 GB. Does anyone know what's going on? This episodic dvd only has 4 titles.
    Last edited by okizen; 28th Jan 2019 at 16:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what program did you use to copy the disc to your computer ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. ON my Mac I use MakeMKV and on Bootcamp I've tried DVD decypter, dvdshrink and MakeMKV (for pc).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try using dvdfab to remove the copy protection from the dvd.
    dvd decrypter is out dated and no longer removes newer copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV should be the same size
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks october262 and netmask56. I'll try out dvdfab on the Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Some protections can produce that problem. In that protected DVDs, the same video content is referenced a lot of times by the IFOs, to confuse the rippers. That means that several titles are fake, and reference the video cells in a wrong order, or with additional bad cells normally impossible to rip. Only a single title contains the real movie, in the right order and without problems.
    MakeMKV rips by default all titles to disc, and it doesn't "know" what title is the correct one. Therefore, it creates several titles with slightly different content, and you have to find the correct one yourself. Of course, it is better to analyse the DVD before ripping it with MakeMKV, to rip only the right title. You can analyse the DVD with PgcEdit is trace mode, but that requires some skills, and finding the correct title in the MakeMKV GUI is also extremely difficult, due to the bad way the GUI is organised.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It may not just be protections, it could be that the title has multiple angles or alternate version/scene playlist options and the ripping app is pulling it in this manner: Version 1=A+B+D, Version 2=A+C+D. Instead of grabbing A, B, C, and D, singly, it is grabbing A & D a 2nd time.

A similar, but more complicated issue exists with 3D Blu-rays.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks r0lZ and Cornucopia for your advice and information.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It may not just be protections, it could be that the title has multiple angles or alternate version/scene playlist options and the ripping app is pulling it in this manner: Version 1=A+B+D, Version 2=A+C+D. Instead of grabbing A, B, C, and D, singly, it is grabbing A & D a 2nd time.

A similar, but more complicated issue exists with 3D Blu-rays.

Scott
    Yes, right. But in the case reported by okizen, 51.31GB is too much to be caused by just a few angles or a multi-story movie, so I guess that it's probably a protection.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Probably was.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On one of these dvd's, when using 'redfox', 'anydvd', it generally shows which TS is the 'real' one. ie: TS 2 or TS 5, for instance, in the ripping box.

I had one, once, in 'my computer', said it was 72+ gigs.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If possible,give isobuster a try,it might enable you to pick out the genuine ts.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks for your input, cornemuse and joeandmarg0.
    Quote Quote