VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there such an adapter? I am looking to buy a DAC/AMP, the Cayin C5, which has a usb in to do the Digital Analog Conversion and outputs sound to Headphones. But my PS4 Video game console only has optical output. Can you think of a way to convert optical port to usb
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try doing a Google search on:

Toslink to USB

I found a few things that are close. Some of them are discontinued. I didn't find anything exactly like you want. You can definitely get Toslink to RCA analog audio and you can definitely go from that to USB, so it can be done in two steps, but with an A/D and D/A in the middle.

Monoprice is a site that specializes in these sorts of things.
    Quote Quote  
  3. But whats the point if you get ADC and DAC conversion in between, wont that butcher the signal
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Is there such an adapter? I am looking to buy a DAC/AMP, the Cayin C5, which has a usb in to do the Digital Analog Conversion and outputs sound to Headphones. But my PS4 Video game console only has optical output. Can you think of a way to convert optical port to usb
    Are you certain that you posted the correct model number? I looked up the specs for the Cayin C5. All the audio connections are analog. Although the Cayin C5 has 2 micro USB ports, they don't accept audio input. One is for charging the C5 and the other is for charging another device, for example, a mobile phone.

Review with pictures. https://headfonics.com/2014/09/the-c5-portable-headphone-amp-by-cayin/
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. I believe theres a C5 and a C5DAC version

This is the one im talking about

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-spark-c5-dac-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amplifi....20720/reviews
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe theres a C5 and a C5DAC version

This is the one im talking about

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-spark-c5-dac-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amplifi....20720/reviews
    That clears things up. Thanks.

The C5 DAC's USB connection seems to be intended for connecting a PC or compatible smartphone or compatible tablet as an audio source. (Not all mobile devices will work as an audio source for the C5 DAC.)

I don't think you are going to find a stand-alone TOSLINK to USB audio converter designed to provide the same type of audio output for the C5 DAC. There isn't enough audio gear around which is designed to accept USB audio input but lacks an optical digital audio input or coaxial digital audio input.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jan 2019 at 12:05. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  7. What if i get a toslink adapter for laptop so it can act as an intermediary device. Then have laptop receive it from toslink then output from usb as usual. Since theres bo other way or an adapter that does that
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What if i get a toslink adapter for laptop so it can act as an intermediary device. Then have laptop receive it from toslink then output from usb as usual. Since theres bo other way or an adapter that does that
    There are eternal USB sound cards with optical audio in. Example: https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Sound/USB-Audio/USB-7-Channel-Audio-Adapter-wi...F~ICUSBAUDIO7D My suspicion is that these external cards only allow using their own outgoing connections for audio output and would not allow using a USB connection on the PC for audio output. However, I have never tried one.

Note that the Startech device's SPDIF optical pass-through port (optical input) supports only two-channel audio. It does not support 5.1 channel audio.

[Edit}So, after further inspection, it appears that the Startech device won't do what you want. I suspect that all or nearly all current external sound cards are made to prevent the computer itself from receiving digital audio input. Music copyright holders don't want us to be able to record digital audio input.

[Edit 2] Maybe I'm wrong about the Startech device. One recent review on Startech's website says the following "I wasn't interested in the 7.1 features, but more for recording purposes, especially the optical input. The C-Media Audio chip in this device is quite basic, limited to 16 Bit and 48 KHz. So it won't do 24 Bit or 96 KHz or any of that. The specifications and manual mention that the S/PDIF optical input is only pass-through, yet it shows up as an input in Windows 10 and you can record just fine with software such as Audacity." However I still can't tell you if digital audio input will be output from USB when the C5 DAC is connected.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jan 2019 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What do you need the USB for?
    There are scores of sound cards that have Toslink in (capture).

You want the signal to go from ps4 to pc. Done.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    What do you need the USB for?
    There are scores of sound cards that have Toslink in (capture).

You want the signal to go from ps4 to pc. Done.

Scott
    therock003 hasn't mentioned capture so far in this thread. He wants a TOSLINK to USB converter to get TOSLINK out from something into a Cayin C5 DAC. The Cayin C5 DAC only has a USB connection for digital audio input. The USB connection allows the Cayin C5 DAC to accept audio out from a computer or some mobile phones and tablets. I told him that (as far as I know) nobody currently makes a TOSLINK to USB converter that would do what he wants. So, he asked about getting a device that would allow running TOSLINK audio through a laptop and out to the C5 DAC. That's where the external soundcard came in. For the record I have little confidence that a soundcard is really going to be of help.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jan 2019 at 20:40. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  11. So my only viable options it seems, are an optical2 rca adapter, or the 3.5mm (you get from the controller) to minijack. Could this be worth it i wonder
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So my only viable options it seems, are an optical2 rca adapter, or the 3.5mm (you get from the controller) to minijack. Could this be worth it i wonder
    Maybe, if the adapter's digital to analog audio conversion is pretty good. Reviews indicate that the Caylin C5 DAC is a rather good headphone amplifier and less impressive as a DAC. Plus, there would be no possibility of more than stereo audio from the Caylin C5 DAC even if the Caylin C5 DAC had a TOSLINK-in port.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jan 2019 at 20:52. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK.
    So you want to use a device that is marketed for usb use (as outputted from a phone, as per the images) to drive headphones portably, but instead you of doing it like that, you want to use your ps4 (which is not portable, in the strictest sense) as your source.

Sounds like what you really need is just a receiver with TOSLink in, a high quality DAC, and high quality headphone amp. Tons to choose from.

Are doing this because you want it to do double duty at still reasonable price? There are better ways to ultimately get what you need, directly, rather than trying to force something that isn't optimal to the use to be wrangled into working.

Btw, I said "capture" above NOT because I misheard you, but because if you are going to be looking at sound cards or converter devices, that is a buzzword that will help you differentiate between what you are truly looking for (input) vs. the multitude of TOSLink output supported devices. I thought that was obvious, but I guess it apparently wasn't.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well actually i want it for 3 scenarios and ps4 is the very last one. Firstly i want to connect it to my laptop for my movies and gaming then to my mobile for music and last comes the ps4. I have seaeched a lot and this dac is the best option for that money and it just bothers me that i cant take advantage of that 3rd option using it with the ps4 as well. Getting something else that supports toslink but has worse results or goes way more expensive seems like a compromise.
    Quote Quote  
  15. So guys i ended up buying this C5DAC product. Its quite good for whast it does, and usb works flawless on laptop and android mobile. As for that 3rd option i was inquiring concerning my ps4 game console which of course cannot be configured to passthrough sound via usb port, i ended up connecting a minijack from my TV to the amp and then a 5meter extension that goes around the room and reaches my headphone. So once again

PS4 hdmi out goes to hdmi in of the TV. TV outputs picture and then give sound from the 3.5mm minijack. Male-to-male connects tv sound output to the minijack input of my dac, and then i have a 5m cable till it reaches my hedaphones.

I only wanted to know if there is a better option to use the optical, like so.

PS4 optical goes to an optical to rca dac like the fio d3 product. Since the ps4 is closer to my bed, i want need such a long cable to go around the room, plus i get the added benefit i guess that it is a standalone dac, instead of having the tv get the digital signal from the hdmi and do the analog conversion to feed the sound from the 3.5 port. So to sum up

Alternate config
    PS4 optical out-> fioo does optical to rca->rca y cable to 3.5mm goes to my dac minijack input, and then i connect to the headphone output.

Will this second setup give me better results to justify the additional expenses. The point is as i mentioned that console and fiio dac can be placed closer to me so i wont need a 5m cable and avoid all this singal loss, and also i get a dac to perform the conversion instead of my TV
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Is there such an adapter? I am looking to buy a DAC/AMP, the Cayin C5, which has a usb in to do the Digital Analog Conversion and outputs sound to Headphones. But my PS4 Video game console only has optical output. Can you think of a way to convert optical port to usb
    I was also looking for such device. I want my CCA Optical out to be connected to an USB DAC. I found this. You may also find it useful.

Looks like this will work! What do you guys say?
    Quote Quote