VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys......
    Well to start things off I am the grandson of a Rock n' Roll saxophonist by the name of Chuck Higgins. I ended up with a VHS tape of all kinds of stuff of my grandfather including home videos and a black and white short that he shot for HBO years back. My fathers side of the family is from Texas and that is where the VHS came from and truthfully, I DO NOT think that the tape was well taken care of. It seems to play ok, but not great in the beginning, then about an hour and 15 minutes in, it seems to virtically roll the picture. The beggining of the tape starts with the old school analog text and so does the end, so I do believe that these tapes were made by a professional since my grandpa died when I was about 13 and the tapes seem more like a family compilation of him and the intro says "Remembering Daddy". I recieved it from a cousin who's mother passed away, and she is in the tape as well.

I have a CHEAP Sanyo VCR that just has RCA outputs and I really do want to upgrade to something that has TBC, DNR, and S-Video out.

Being that this is a compilation of clips on one VHS, do you think it is possible that the tracking goes off at the point of the tape where it starts messing up, which is about an hour and 15 in, or do you think it could be the tape needs TBC, or.... do you think the age of the tape is showing and it is worn?

Here is a snippet of my grandfathers black and white short....
    THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul52k00z21yqku9/Chuck%20Higgins%20-%20DEMO.avi?dl=0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well there, in my eyes, is evidence of tracking issues.

Have you actually tried to adjust the tracking using the remote ?

I would also physical inspect the tape at the point where these issues arise by releasing the lock button and carefully open the cover. Pray that the tape has not been 'mangled' by any playback machine ie evidence of 'teeth' along the edges.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well there, in my eyes, is evidence of tracking issues.

Have you actually tried to adjust the tracking using the remote ?

I would also physical inspect the tape at the point where these issues arise by releasing the lock button and carefully open the cover. Pray that the tape has not been 'mangled' by any playback machine ie evidence of 'teeth' along the edges.
    Thank you for the reply. I will check it out. I haven't tried to adjust the tracking on it yet. I actuallyt don't have the remote so I may have to work with the channel buttons on the front of the vcr.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Clearly a tracking issue. First adjust the tracking on your vcr. You might also need a TBC. I am in the same situation of converting VHS to digital but mine doesn't look as obvious as yours. Notice the yellow circles I marked on the screenshot of your video before the tracking goes out. From what I understood that is a TBC issue.

https://postimg.cc/4Kj9YHDC
    Last edited by RS456; 24th Jan 2019 at 05:36.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    Clearly a tracking issue. First adjust the tracking on your vcr. You might also need a TBC. I am in the same situation of converting VHS to digital but mine doesn't look as obvious as yours. Notice the yellow circles I marked on the screenshot of your video before the tracking goes out. From what I understood that is a TBC issue.

https://postimg.cc/4Kj9YHDC

Oh okay. I would actually like to get as much clarity as possible out of this project as the rest of the tape is actually home videos and other family members around my grandfather. I can see that if it was possible to correct that around the lettering then the lettering should be a bit clearer as well. I am still in search of a NTSC VCR with TBC that isn't going to break the bank. I recently tried to get a JVC HR-s7600U from EBay that was complete with the remote and the manual but at the very last minute I lost the auction and it sold for $178 The demo snippet that you viewed was actually made with the regular yellow composite cable. I can imagine I will get a lot further with TBC, DNR, and an S-Video cable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    This is cyclic noise that suggests a problem with a rotating part in the transport, either during recording or playback. The tape may have been physically damaged by a bad pinch roller (very common). Or it could be badly wound or there is a hangup in the cassette. You really need to stop the tape at a bad spot and examine it by popping open the cassette door. If it's munched, then no amount of tracking adjustment or TBC will fix it. Otherwise, try winding the entire tape end-to-end a couple of times to retension it and then adjust the tracking if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @RS456, your posting site contains malware!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    This is cyclic noise that suggests a problem with a rotating part in the transport, either during recording or playback. The tape may have been physically damaged by a bad pinch roller (very common). Or it could be badly wound or there is a hangup in the cassette. You really need to stop the tape at a bad spot and examine it by popping open the cassette door. If it's munched, then no amount of tracking adjustment or TBC will fix it. Otherwise, try winding the entire tape end-to-end a couple of times to retension it and then adjust the tracking if necessary.
    Rewinding the tape end to end seemed to have cleared that up but I still think I may need some TBC to get things straightened out all the way.
    Quote Quote