VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a cheapy little Sanyo that I was using to transfer family tapes but as I dug more into the method of restoring tapes I realized how important the S-Video is (which I don't have on my VCR) and the TBC which I also do not have. I was trying to grab a JVC on ebay last night it was the HR-s7600U I believe. It was fully functional and it was $112 + $50 or so to ship. At the last minute someone came and bumped it to $180 before I can get to it. What VCR would you guys recommend for the budget of between $100 - $200?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Philips had a few JVC clones, but I'm not sure they sold them in America/NTSC.
    Philips VR1000 and VR1100 are great machines with S-Video and TBC.
    I have an 1100 now and killed my 1000 through stupidity and impatience....but that's a story for my therapist.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got my 7800 for under $200, nice machine. If EBAY fails you, try Mercari, or even maybe get lucky on Facebook Marketplace, but you have to be diligent and keep looking. Sharp, JVC, Panasonic, maybe certain Sony.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    s-video isn't the most important factor, TBC and the transport are.

You won't often find the best JVC VCRs for under $200. That price range is usually "for parts" (and not worth the price the seller wants). The biggest problem with VCRs is sellers claiming the deck is "tested" and "working", yet not actually tested and not actually working. Most eBay sellers see a picture, any quality picture, and proclaim it being functioning. So buyer beware. Don't let that scare you away from the best VCRs, but rather make you understand that it's not a simple matters of price and seller promises.

I saw that 7600, but it had red flags to me. Questions needed to be asked, correct answers given, before I'd have even touched it. The problem is that you'd have to know what I do to even know what to ask. So don't feel like you missed a gem, as it may not have been that.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 23rd Jan 2019 at 22:48.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    s-video isn't the most important factor, TBC and the transport are.

You won't often find the best JVC VCRs for under $200. That price range is usually "for parts" (and not worth the price the seller wants). The biggest problem with VCRs is sellers claiming the deck is "tested" and "working", yet not actually tested and not actually working. Most eBay sellers see a picture, any quality picture, and proclaim it being functioning. So buyer beware. Don't let that scare you away from the best VCRs, but rather make you understand that it's not a simple matters of price and seller promises.

I saw that 7600, but it had red flags to me. Questions needed to be asked, correct answers given, before I'd have even touched it. The problem is that you'd have to know what I do to even know what to ask. So don't feel like you missed a gem, as it may not have been that.
    Was this the one that you saw?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HR-S7600U-SVHS-Stereo-Video-Cassette-Recorder-Player-w-Re...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And if I am to purchase one from EBay, what type of questions should I be asking?
    Quote Quote  
  6. JVC SR-MV45/55 units pop up on eBay all the time for around $100. The problem with them is usually the notorious "LOADING" error, so be careful if you plan on getting one.
    Got mines from eBay and it works just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I got lucky and found a guy with a working AG-1970 on Craigslist for $50. I ended up grabbing that and I am VERY happy
    Quote Quote