VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony mini DV camcorder model dcr-hc30. It was working fine until 2 days but suddenly the touchscreen controls stopped working.

Is it something relatively easy that I can fix myself. Wouldn't like to spend the on repairs. If so, any help will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Subhash; 21st Jan 2019 at 19:31.
    Thanks.

Subhash
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Try a power reset. Remove the battery and AC adapter, turn on for 30 seconds, then turn off and reconnect. If that doesn't work, it could be a broken ribbon cable. There are vids on YouTube about obtaining and installing a replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried that already. Battery is dead anyway. Wouldn't charge. So I unplugged the power. After couple of hours connected again but no luck.
    Thanks.

Subhash
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subhash View Post
    I have tried that already. Battery is dead anyway. Wouldn't charge. So I unplugged the power. After couple of hours connected again but no luck.
    if you can, try sending the camera back to the factory for a free repair - http://www.fixya.com/support/t7836551-sony_dcr_hc30_touchscreen_stopped
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by Subhash View Post
    if you can, try sending the camera back to the factory for a free repair - http://www.fixya.com/support/t7836551-sony_dcr_hc30_touchscreen_stopped
    Hmm. Interesting. Wonder if they will still honor the recall from 2007. I will give them a call tomorrow and try my luck. If not, I will be back here for further advice.
    Thanks.

Subhash
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I called Sony and as expected the Rep said that he does not see any open recalls for this model.

Anyway, I described my problem to him and he sent me a link to calibrate the LCD touchscreen. The instructions required to go into P-MENU option from the touchscreen which was also not working to start with. So, he sent me instructions that did not work.

I called again and this time he gave me a different procedure to calibrate the screen. You turn off the camcorder, remove all cables and memory card and then press and hold the DSPL/BATTERY button while powering on the unit to PLAY/EDIT mode. After 5 seconds, the calibration screen pops up. I followed the procedure to calibrate and the touchscreen started working again.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for all who helped.
    Thanks.

Subhash
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 Handicams, the HC30 and the HC21. Both exhibit the same issue a lot of people have. I haven't used them in a number of years and when I power them up I get stuck on the CLOCK SET screen. Since the touchscreen won't respond I am stuck. The TS works, it's not the ribbon cable, etc... it's just that you can't use it until you set the clock... but you need the TS to set the clock

I've tried some of the suggestions I've found... nothing works.

I'm sure this is a known issue, a design flaw, as so many report the same thing. Just need some sort of work around to get that clock set or to bypass the clock.

I am able to use my remote to control the unit... and RECORD will work still as you don't need the TS for that. So the camera works.

Would like to be able to PLAY my tapes to see what's on them so I can transfer the video to a CD.

Also, what is the best way to TRANSFER the tape content to my PC or CD, etc?

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the flexible cable that connects the touchscreen to the body had a life expectancy of about 2 years. it was fragile and multiple bends opening and closing it killed them. had one that lasted only a year and a half. and no it's not an easy replacement if the cable is even available anymore.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Subhash View Post
    Well, I called Sony and as expected the Rep said that he does not see any open recalls for this model.

Anyway, I described my problem to him and he sent me a link to calibrate the LCD touchscreen. The instructions required to go into P-MENU option from the touchscreen which was also not working to start with. So, he sent me instructions that did not work.

I called again and this time he gave me a different procedure to calibrate the screen. You turn off the camcorder, remove all cables and memory card and then press and hold the DSPL/BATTERY button while powering on the unit to PLAY/EDIT mode. After 5 seconds, the calibration screen pops up. I followed the procedure to calibrate and the touchscreen started working again.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for all who helped.
    Had to sign up just to thank you for posting this. I found this solution during lockdown Christmas 2020 which meant I was able to watch back my late father's old tapes. Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hey I know you posted this a while ago, but what is the calibration procedure? I got the calibration screen to pop up but that's it ... been staring at the word CALIBRATION for 15 minutes.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: put my glasses on and saw a little x, so I pressed it, it moved, I pressed that one, it moved, repeat x 50. I assume that is the calibration process but it doesn't appear to be working
    Last edited by queenofgeek; 1st Feb 2021 at 16:45. Reason: Wanted to delete. Added deets instead.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey guys, I just recently got my old Sony DCR-HC35 back down from my attic. But after a lot of excitement I was quickly disappointed by the touchscreen not working. I tried calibrating it and while in calibrating mode it works just fine. But I was facing the same problem as Queenofgeek, it was just an ongoing loop of tapping these little crosses. Anybody got any solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance.*
    Quote Quote  
  12. I’m having the same issue as PhilTheChill and Queenofgeek with my HC-30. I have taken apart the whole camcorder including the screen to check all ribbons are attached, put it back together and I still get stuck on the calibration screen pressing the x in 3 spots over and over. Would love to know if anyone ever solved this?

Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Domen8tor View Post
    I’m having the same issue as PhilTheChill and Queenofgeek with my HC-30. I have taken apart the whole camcorder including the screen to check all ribbons are attached, put it back together and I still get stuck on the calibration screen pressing the x in 3 spots over and over. Would love to know if anyone ever solved this?

Thank you!!
    have you tried this - https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00030063
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony DCR-HC26. Originally the Touch Screen Did not work. When I put it into Calibration mode, The Word "Calibration" Would Appear on the screen, with a small green X. If you touched anywhere on the screen, it would move diagonally. When put back into normal camera mode, touch screen would not work again. It doesn't matter how many times you pressed the X, Nothing would happen other than it moving diagonally across the screen. Any Ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have sony hc27, initially LCD showed picture well but didn't respond to touch, and couldn't set the clock or calibrate. With opening the screen and reattaching cables, it responded to touch in general for a while, I got to that calibration loop with the cross moving with every touch indefinitely. I think at this point the touch wasn't registered in the correct location. Then ordered a new ribbon cable from Aliexpress, changed it, same problem continued. I then ordered a new LCD screen for the model from Aliexpress, changed it (easy to do), and now the screen works perfectly! I think there was nothing wrong with the flex cable, just the screen panel.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you use the camcorder for playback/transfer only, you can use Sclive's control panel from the computer to do most of the functions except for the settings which you could get a remote control for.

I LMAO when I read post #4 as he suggested to send the camcorder back to factory for repair in 2019, A factory that has been long dismantled at least 25 years ago and the techs who knew how to fix them are all retired by now
    Quote Quote