VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm wondering if can save myself a lot of time by dumping the raw content of a DVD to my local disk (SSD), which i want to then rip from. The reason i want to do this is that SSD's are much faster in read/write performance than a DVD. So it would be copy raw files from DVD -> SSD then from SSD i would rip to MP4.

This is just a DVD of home movies and i want to try different variations when ripping. I'm thinking it may be much faster to do it from SSD to SSD.
    ~_PolishPaul_~
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don't 'rip' to anything other than .iso or folders/files (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO-TS). You 'encode" to .mp4 or any other format/container. Proper usage of terms is necessary to avoid confusing others that may read your post.

Yes, if they're home movies without copy protection, you can just copy the folders to your SSD. However the bottleneck is still transfer speed from your DVD drive to the SSD/HDD and the encoding speed of whatever program you're using to convert to .mp4.

Edit: I just remembered. It sometimes faster to a DVD ripper like DVDFab or DVD Decrypter to rip DVDs than simply copying the files directly from the disc because of the overhead Windows (especially Win 10) adds to the copy process.
    Last edited by lingyi; 21st Jan 2019 at 17:54.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thats essentially what I do with makemkv or DVD shrink. I never encode straight from disc even if its decrypted already as with modern processors it will certainly be a bottleneck.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I encode my decrypted DVDs directly from the DVD disc with Vidcoder as I find it's faster than first ripping,
    then encoding to MKV H.264/AC3 from the ripped files.
    My DVD encodes take about 10 - 15 minutes to encode directly from disc.

For BDs, I do rip first before encoding as direct conversion seems to overheat my BD drive.
    Quote Quote