VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone,

I'm totally new here, like I'm new in transferring VHS to digital. Will try to make it short. I'm not a professional or something and this was my first attempt to transfer VHS to PC. At first I thought - no problem, I'll just plug in VHS to PC (it has a TV card) and basically everything did worked - there was sound, there was image and I thought that's it. But When I did transferred VHS to PC I found some problems with the image: it seems that whenever VHS camera were shacked a little bit more while filming - it has jumping/jitter problem in my new transferred to PC VHS rip.

Here's how it looks:

While watching the tape on the TV (the cables are the same) it doesn't have such issues. I've tried to do some different configurations, different softwares, but the problem is still the same, so I guess it's not the software or anything else, but probably a hardware.

Anyway, could somebody explain for a newbie why this is happening and how this can be fixed?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a video clip of this? Still shots aren't much help when discussing video problems.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    sorry, here's the short video clip:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/TAs7tYf

as you see at first everything's fine, but when the camera starts shacking it has this annoying jumping. on TV everything is OK, without these side effects.
    the other scenes where the camera smoothly moves/zooms also doesn't have that jumping image, it seems that this kind of "jumping" starts whenever the camera was shacked a little bit more
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    This is a synchronization problem. TVs are much more forgiving of timing variation than are digital converters. If your VCR has a TBC or stabilizer function, turn it on. Otherwise, you will need a frame synchronizer in between the VCR and the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks JVRaines! so getting the frame synchronizer is the only possible way to fix such issues?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Yes. The problem is in the analog domain. There's nothing to do about it in software.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    thanks, will need to learn more about this.

what about the vhs/dvd recorders (where you can record from vhs to dvd or hdd - JVC DRMV5S for example)? anyone here have tried them? do these recorders eliminate such problems as in my video rip?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    The Panasonic ES-10 and 15 have built-in timing correction which handles many of these problems. Other models do as well. They are often used as passthrough signal conditioners without going to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lack of TBC is the issue.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote