VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I use youtube-dl for when I want a permanent copy of a BBC show - anything on the BBC iPlayer is downloadable. However, I've just discovered that youtube-dl won't do the same with Channel 4's 'on demand' service. Before I go through what could be a lengthy trial and error process, I wonder if anyone here can tell me of an alternative downloader that they know will work with Channel4/All4?

Here's a sample link, although it may not work for you as I had to sign in to get it:
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/8-out-of-10-cats-does-countdown/on-demand/67844-010

My grateful thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Average video editor Sviests's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's DRM protected. You can get an encrypted .mp4 file,but you'll need a decryption key to decode it....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for that. Out of interest, what are you using to get the encrypted mp4?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Average video editor Sviests's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Curl+Wget
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sviests View Post
    It's DRM protected. You can get an encrypted .mp4 file,but you'll need a decryption key to decode it....
    Why does it work in the browser then?

Also, why can the Scene do WEB-DL of TV/Movies but noobs can't?
    Last edited by Tortle; 28th Jan 2019 at 05:15.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can use developer tools (F12) in FF or chrome to sniff the streaming link and then either right click + save as or use YT-DL to grab the mp4, but as mentioned, its pointless as its unplayable.

The thing is - ITVplayer is also encrypted but YT-DL works just fine there and somehow bypasses the encryption and results in a perfectly playable mp4.

Why it cant do that with Ch4 or My5 is a mystery... and also a bit of a PITA

Scene cappers have the decryption key - hence why they can rip from anywhere
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I noticed is that the programs start with commercials. They can be captured in the normal way. Once the actual program starts the transmission shifts to a different server and can not be captured.

Just do screen capture.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Screen caps suck ass man, takes too long

I'm pretty sure ITVplayer has adverts as well as encryption... yet YT-DL doesnt have a problem there
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    What I noticed is that the programs start with commercials. They can be captured in the normal way. Once the actual program starts the transmission shifts to a different server and can not be captured.

Just do screen capture.
    I have tried doing screen capture from All4, and all I get is just black.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noah Kelly View Post

I have tried doing screen capture from All4, and all I get is just black.
    Warning Notice: Swedish Ministry of Resurrected Threads.
    Any reason you chose this three year old thread rather than read one of the many more up-to-date solutions for C4 given on this forum?
    Quote Quote