VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a huge amount of VHS, VHS-C and 8mm home movies that I want to store digitally.

I have a VHS player that has S-video and my 8mm camcorder has that plus usb and firewire connectivity.

I figure I'd get a USB3 dongle to transfer to PC.

What I need to know is what file format and codec to use. I want to save these videos so that they are lossless and compatible (or convertible to something that is).

Then what software should I use to do this? I am running Linux.

I'll be using Plex to manage my video library once complete.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The usual codec suspects are HuffYUV, Lagarith, FFV1, and UTVideo. Matroska Video is a very capable open-source container. I like FFmpeg for its power and flexibility, even though its command line is a bit opaque to casual comprehension.

The standard I recommend to serious archival clients is FFV1/MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. For archiving capture YUY2 and compress with huffyuv 2.1.1, audio uncompressed 48KHz 16 bit, stereo, in AVI.

For viewing QTGMC to 59.94 fps, encode YUV 4:2:0 with x264, aac audio, in MP4 or MKV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or if you are not going to edit anything, capture in mpeg-2 720x480 30i with mpeg audio and you'll be able to author to dvd without any re-encoding or just save the mpeg-2s to view.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any recommendations on a USB capture device?

Any recommendations on software? FFMPEG is probably my choice.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    TONS of reviews and feedback here on USB devices if you search this section of the forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ATI 600 USB works best.
    Don't read Amazon for your reviews, as most are left by morons (good stuff gets bad reviews, bad stuff gets good reviews).

You'll need some form of external framesync TBC between the VCR and capture card, otherwise you'll have issues with dropped frames, audio sync, and more.

Hopefully that VCR has an internal line TBC, otherwise the captures will look lousy. And capturing to a non-lossless format like MPEG will be full of artifacts. (MPEG at high 15mbps bitrate is a good capture format, but you must have a clean signal.)

Always keep the source tapes. Capture to high quality for archives, encode compressed copy for watching with current tech/bandwidth.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Start with the basics. Garbage In, Garbage Out. Capturing to lossless means nothing if your hardware isn't capable of putting out a good, clean signal. Check lordsmurf's VCR buying guide and if your machine isn't listed, seriously think about getting one from this list http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html. Also read his article about what goes into a video capture workflow:http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials/digital-video/professional-analog-workflow.htm

If you don't have a TBC, contact lordsmurf via PM as he has/had a few for sale. He may still have a complete video workflow (VCR, TBC, capture device) he'd be willing to sell.

I'm not shilling for ls, just see too many posters like you spend tons of time and money trying to figure out and fix what went wrong with their captures. You're 20+ years late to the game and there are tried and true equipment and techniques that have been established.
    Last edited by lingyi; 20th Jan 2019 at 11:26.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Anyone know where to get a good USB or PCExpress card that supports Linux?

I've searched for ATI 600 USB and haven't found anyplace that have them(ebay etc).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the Diamond VC500 has a Linux driver hosted on their site but not officialy supported by Diamond

i didn't try it , but it's an option to look at
    Last edited by smartel; 22nd Jan 2019 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mcouture View Post
    Anyone know where to get a good USB or PCExpress card that supports Linux?

I've searched for ATI 600 USB and haven't found anyplace that have them(ebay etc).
    Contact lordsmurf, he has a couple of them available at the digitalfaq.com marketplace
    Quote Quote  
  12. Contact lordsmurf he is a legend and a knowledge database in this type of thing
    Quote Quote