VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I couldn't fit all this in the title: I'm looking for a Windows-based video (file) editor that would easily allow me to use different filters/effects on arbitrarily selected portions of the video. Here's an example scenario: I have a lot of non-professional videos that have some portions that are too dark or too loud, and other portions that are too bright or too quiet or are too saturated or what not. I want to be able to select an arbitrary portion of a given video file and apply whatever audio or video adjustments I wish to make ONLY to that portion and not the rest of the file.

None of the video editors I own allow this, even though I would have thought this to be an extremely basic and fundamental feature!

Not TMPGEnc Video MasterWorks 6, not Corel VideoStudio Ultimate 2018, not VSDC Video Editor Pro (to the best I can figure out with this extremely counter-intuitive program). It appears you may be able to do something like this with hideously over-complex and over-flexible and over-powered open source apps such as Handbrake and others, but these have a near-infinite number of settings whose values can only be correctly determined by life-long professional audio-video engineers -- and are utterly inexplicable to me -- so I'd need something more comprehensible, which probably means a paid product.

Which video editors can do this, please?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVS4YOU Video Converter allows this but it is not free and the outputs formats are limited. IMHO this is its major drawback.
    [Attachment 47843 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47844 - Click to enlarge]

AVISynth with FFMpeg is free but there is a learning curve and it is CLI so not Windows Based but very versatile.
    AVIsynth script:
    Code:
    directshowsource("c:\users\bud\desktop\[dp]Manjandani-1.mp4")
    trim(0,-100) ++ trim(101,-100).tweak(bright=100)
    yields 100 frames normal and 100 frames lighter:
    [Attachment 47845 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 47846 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Shotcut (free) and Vegas (not free, with trial period) can split the file in sections and edit the sections individually.
    After editing you might usually have to re-encode the full edited clip though. Only the more expensive editors offer smart rendering which re-encodes the edited parts only but leave the rest intact (copy).
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you wish to adjust just a part of a video but still want to keep the whole clip, you could try this in any edit software that has colour correction and separate audio controls. Import the whole video onto the timeline. Then make a cut at the beginning and end of each section you wish to alter. This makes them into separate clips within the video timeline. You should now be able to make alterations to this new clip without affecting the rest of the file. Then when finished you can render the whole video out as a new one complete with alterations.
    I can't tell you if you can do this in Video Studio as I don't use it, but you can in editors such as Vegas and Resolve.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow! I'm extremely pleased with all your replies! Thank you all. This is such a great site!

Budman1 : Thanks for your tips! I have no problem with a paid application, as long as I can afford it (Vegas is far too expensive, for example). I looked at the AVS4YOU site and found a great offer that's valid through the end of Jan 2019: $59 USD for a lifetime license for all five of their AV tools (though it looks like you can't buy just a single program). I'm wondering if their editor has the same capability as the converter you brought to my attention -- but I'll very likely take their offer and can learn this myself. Thank you also for showing that AVISynth script; that looked significantly more comprehensible than I expected.

Sharc : As indicated above, Vegas is completely out of my financial reach. I've played a bit with Shotcut, but I don't think I've tried using it for this purpose. Thanks for your tip -- I'll try it!

ChapmanDolly : I haven't figured out whether I can do as you suggest in Video MasterWorks 6 Timeline mode, even though I've read the documentation and tried to do that. But I've found Timeline mode in VMW6 to be very confusing and the documentation hasn't helped me figure out how to do this (perhaps because I'm too stupid). As for VideoStudio, I've asked the main expert on their forum, and he agreed that it can't be done with that program.

However, I'd never heard of DaVinci Resolve, which I've just now learned is free! Thank you enormously for that great tip! I'm going to try it as soon as I can.

Thanks again to you all!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just be aware that Resolve is professional editing and grading software so it has a steep learning curve. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials available. Also make sure your computer has plenty of RAM and a decent graphics card with a minimum of 2GB VRAM. Resolve will not run on underpowered hardware.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by EmmB View Post
    Sharc : As indicated above, Vegas is completely out of my financial reach. I've played a bit with Shotcut, but I don't think I've tried using it for this purpose. Thanks for your tip -- I'll try it!
    Isn't VEGAS Movie Studio (Platinum) within your budget?
    https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/product-comparison/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVS4you Video Editor has different EFFECTS but not bright, contrast, etc. It uses more of a storyline with effects like fade and window between scenes. Thats because if you are doing Bright or sharpen, you will be re-encoding or 'converting' if you will. Little misleading on their terminology but workable since you get all if you get their Lifetime buy.

They have other Utilities as well which I purchased in lifetime bundle also long ago. This is not an ad for them since I rarely use them now being an avid FFMpeg and AVISynth user. It just a very easy to use program for what you want. If you want multiple fixes in the same area just add a line and overlap in that area.

[Attachment 47852 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere Pro for pay
    VirtualDub for free
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote