VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello !

i have a video that i edited on premiere pro cs6 and i used lagarith codec to export (because i don't want to loose quality)

i had a few issue first one is it was very slow to export the files, the files was so so heavy (i think it's normal)

But the video was laggy af i wasn't able to read it correctly

i don't know anything about codec it's my first time using this i took lagarith because i read it's lossless but i think i'm doing something wrong in the export process,

any clue ?

thank you !
    Last edited by banane1; 16th Jan 2019 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Lossless codecs are not meant to be for playback. The main purpose is to serve as an intermediate file.

Lots of data in them, maybe latency performance is not good enough or data transfer is too much to handle for live performance on your system.

Some lossless have low latency performance (better for playback) , that is a trade off for slightly bigger file, not sure if that is a rule, but sort of. But Lagarith , I think, should be one of those with better latency performance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You may want to make smaller proxy versions of your videos for editing and then link back to your originals for final output. This is incredibly easy in current versions of Premiere -- but it's never been difficult. Not sure where CS6 was on that evolutionary scale.

As _AI_ points out, lagarith is really not used for final output anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ok thank you for your reply,

if i give up on lagarith, do you have any idea what codec should i use to get the best quality ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. There is no best. The way it works is, what is the best compromise for me to watch something.

Lossless codecs as you can see are not meant for playback.

So you have to choose lossy codecs (H.264 or HEVC) and compress video so it just works for you. If it is 4k and above you might start to think about HEVC. Otherwise you are fine or even better choosing H264 codec.

So in Premiere you choose enough of bitrate, use 2pass. What is enough of bitrate for you? It depends on video, for regular camcorder video and using 2pass it might be 25.000kbps or 15.000, who knows, you just guess it, based on your previous experience.

If you want your encoder encode to certain level of quality, quality of your choice , you encode using quality encoding modes. But Premiere does not have that build in. You'd need to install Voucoder plugin for premiere. That Voucoder uses 1pass CRF, constant quality encoding, values are 0 to 52, 0 means lossless, files are gigantic or 52, which means crappy video but very little bitrate. So you go with something around 18 and try it, if it works for you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "Best" is determined by how the final file is being used. Most consumer viewing methods -- phone, YouTube, player -- have settled into AVC H.264 with AAC audio. Adjust bitrate to taste and device.

In future, you may want to consider DNxHR or Pro Res as intermediates. Those are also the most common codecs for broadcast delivery (though by no means the only ones.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you for your replies !

i will do some test and i will see what is the best for my case then !
    Quote Quote