VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I rip my BluRays for local storage on my PC and I used to just compress the video in handbrake and passthru whatever was the highest quality track on the disc. Since getting more into music I've decided for my uses aac is the best format for me for music. In cases where the audio isn't object based (DTS:X and TrueHD) are there any propriety technologies in audio tracks that I'd be missing out on if I were to convert them to AAC (DTS, DTS-HD, AC3, E-AC3)?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use AC3 most times for MKV H.264/AC3 conversions from DVD and BD discs. It's more compatible with my 5.1 surround system.
    For DVDs, AC3 is mostly set to pass through using VidCoder for faster conversions.

But other members here prefer AAC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are converting from a lossy format to another lossy format, you very well may be missing out on QUALITY. E.g., 70% of 70% of a signal is only 49% (lossy may not be linear with lossy codecs, but you get the drift).

Many music players support DTS & AC3 from those mentioned source formats, and using passthrough should get you the others, if you're using a recent/modern receiver to decode.

BTW, DTS-HD (properly known as DTS-HD MA or "Master Audio") is lossless, unlike the others. It has a lossy core with an enhancement layer that makes it lossless. Most converters don't recognize the enhancement layer, so they're using the lossy core as their source.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I know it's not the "same quality" but I can't hear a difference just being honest. I was just wondering about any proprietary surround technologies they may have that would be 100% lost in AAC. (Example DTS:X and TrueHD unlimited channel object based audio)
    Quote Quote