VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, we are about to copy old vhs tape to dvd and the client asks for pcm audio (which we dont have in our software) and I wonder if thats not 'overkill'
    and if AC3 or AAC would do (were using Handbrake) because you cant create a quality that vhs doesnt have at the start ? What would be vhs equvalent in sound anyway?

Thanks alot
    Quote Quote  
  2. What hardware are you using? Surely it has an option for wav audio.

Also, you can't author DVDs in handbrake so you need some other software anyway. AVStoDVD is a good free option (do contribute.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by trackermkel View Post
    Hi, we are about to copy old vhs tape to dvd and the client asks for pcm audio (which we dont have in our software) and I wonder if thats not 'overkill'
    and if AC3 or AAC would do (were using Handbrake) because you cant create a quality that vhs doesnt have at the start ? What would be vhs equvalent in sound anyway?

Thanks alot
    Depends on the audio format. HiFi has 20 Hz – 20 kHz frequency response with 80 dB dynamic range. That's approaching CD quality. Linear is around 20 Hz – 10 kHz with 45 dB range.

Regardless, if a client asked me for LPCM, I would give it to him.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the client is asking for PCM is because he doesn't want audio compression. A simple program as Virtualdub2 can capture the VHS with PCM audio and latter you do whatever you need with it. If the authoring tool you are using don't have support for WAV files as audio, get a better one.
    Quote Quote