VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Whenever I try to capture VHS tapes on my computer I see a narrow distorted bar at the bottom for the screen. What is it called and how do I remove it?

[Attachment 47817 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Head-switch noise is present on all VHS conversions. It was tolerated because the edges of the image were not visible on CRT displays. You can crop it or put a black bar over it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    So no way around it except crop it or put a black bar in the final step?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, either crop it or live with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just buy the DVD for 99 cents on Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    Whenever I try to capture VHS tapes on my computer I see a narrow distorted bar at the bottom for the screen. What is it called and how do I remove it?

Most likely it closed caption data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SL6zs2bDks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Closed captions are on line 21 in NTSC video, teletext captions on line 22 in PAL video. Those are above the picture, not below.

Some VCRs have less head switching noise at the bottom of the frame -- ie, there are a few more lines of undistorted picture there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    So no way around it except crop it or put a black bar in the final step?
    If you are experienced with analog video electronics and possess the correct tools, you can try to adjust the head-switch point in the player. That's about it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by RS456 View Post

O caminho das Índias?
    Misericórdia!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Head-switching" noise. Possible to minimize depending on format & equipment & tweaking/upkeep, impossible to completely avoid on ANY analog VTR.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    So what I got is pretty decent for a vhs conversion?

If anyone is wondering I don't plan on converting this video. Like someone said earlier I can get a dvd of this movie. I am using this tape as a trial and error conversion tape till I get all the settings right. After I get the settings right I plan of converting all my old home movies.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    So what I got is pretty decent for a vhs conversion?
    The brights are blown out.

You also need a line time base corrector. Notice how all the vertical lines aren't straight. They wiggle left and right with every frame. A line TBC will straighten those out. It will look better and you will get better compression. Consider getting an old Panasonic DVD recorder like the ES10 or ES15 to use in passthrough mode (don't record to DVD, just pass the signal thorough it).
    Quote Quote  
  13. The blown out brights is a "Rede Globo de Televisão" incompetence trademark.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Sometimes the background is allowed to clip to get proper foreground exposure. It is impossible to capture the full dynamic range of many natural light scenes.
    Quote Quote  
  15. We understand that, matter of fact, "Globo" has great professionals to handle things like this:

But, they still think that is cool to crush black levels.

I also understand that there are shots that you clip the levels to give an artistic look.

But Globo does this to everything, including studio shots for over 30 years.

Just to illustrate that the blown out brights are not the fault of RS456 gear or capture device, that over blown garbage comes from the source.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    Just to illustrate that the blown out brights are not the fault of RS456 gear or capture device, that over blown garbage comes from the source.
    But his brites are pegged at 255 (RGB) with no noise. That implies Y is over 235 and he might get a little more bright detail by adjusting the proc amp settings.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    What about this sample ?? (Ignore the blurriness that is in the source exactly at that point). Are all the issues solved besides the blurriness and the bottom distorted bar?

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-01-11-11h04m02s583.png
Views:	11
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	47896  

Last edited by RS456; 23rd Jan 2019 at 23:56.
    Quote Quote