VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    Since you are familiar with Colossus
    Not really. I've never had one but I have an HD PVR 2 which is similar.

Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    do you know how to make it work with Vdub?
    I don't think the device can capture uncompressed video. So it won't work with VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    My VCR doesn't have any button or menu item labelled TBC. Its just someone mentioned that the front input on most VCRs have have unsaid TBC. Even if it is not true it is still like a psuedo TBC. Well anyway I am thinking of getting a VCR with TBC after so many trials. Please point me toward links how to capture lossless video capture and which capture cards work as lossless etc.
    To add to Cornucopia's sage advice:

Almost every advanced hobbyist and some who have gone into pro work for high quality lossless capture and video restoration has at one time or other got their start by the guides at this site: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm. The guides are somewhat dated -- the hardware and some of the software has changed or been updated, but the principled of playback, capture, and restoration haven't changed.

An updated guide to VirtualDub capture: Capturing with VirtualDub [Settings Guide]. If that gets too complicated try AmarectTV -- works OK, but doesn't have the overall controls and other features of VDub.

the Diamond Multimedia VC500 is long-time favorite USB device. Sells for less these days than its original $100 and gives decent performance. Don't accept substitutes, cheap Chinese spinoffs, or the infamous EZCap (aka EZCrap). You only need the device drivers, you don't need their generic software to capture (their generic software won't capture lossless anyway). Ignore user reviews on Amazon and Newegg, etc., it 's obvious that some of those poor souls are clueless.

The prime codec for lossless capture to YUY2 720x480 avi is huffyuv. Use 32-bit software. You'll also want to have Lagarith around for intermediate lossless working files, or you can also use it for capture.

I'm surprised you haven't encountered all this info before. It's been around for years. Oh, well, whatever.....hope it gets you started.
    Does Diamond V500 capture lossless?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    Does Diamond V500 capture lossless?
    Yes. Though in practice you'll want to use a lossless video codec with it. Huffyuv, Lagarith, UT, etc. That will reduce the file sizes by 1/2 to 2/3 and decrease the chances of lost frames (on modern computers disk IO is a bigger bottleneck than CPU). And those codecs are truly lossless, like a ZIP archive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Out of curiosity why is Diamond VC500 highly recommended and EZGrabber and other usb capture devices not recommended? Just the gist. Too much to go through in the forums regarding VC500 vs EZGrabber. I am trying to achieve the best picture possible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I just got the Diamond VC500. I need a little help to get it working. I am on Windows 10 and every time I reinstall I get audio but no video. Black screen in Showbiz software and White screen in EzGrabber sofware. Vdub is unable to capture video at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have similar problem with this down the screen bar. Have read some posts.Iīve got VHS with TBC and DNR function.It improved really quality,specially flagging, in my vids,but the bar stays still there.As I understood there is not much to do about it.But my question is about output.I run this with capturing device via scart contact.Tried to run also via normal yellow/white/red contacts but I donīt see any difference. Would it help to get another VHS player with TBC/DNR options,would it improved quality and erase down the screen bar? Just small tip if itīs worth looking for another modell which outputs could be more signal sensitive?
    Example in small clip.
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: mpg 1.mpg (6.31 MB, 25 views)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your question was answered in the second post to this thread:

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Head-switch noise is present on all VHS conversions. It was tolerated because the edges of the image were not visible on CRT displays. You can crop it or put a black bar over it.
    No, buying a different VCR won't help with the head switching crap at the bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Like it was already mentioned here that bar is not shown on old TV's because they have a margin of over scan, That's just how VCR works. Modern TV's and capture cards show it because they scan the whole frame, They don't care what data in the frame. If you don't want to live with it crop it with a software.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    After experimenting around with several VCRs. From what I seen every VCR has it. In varies depending on the recording and VCR. I haven't observed very closely but my Samsung VCR had minimal distorted bar at the bottom maybe because it is reading less of the screen information compared to most VCRs but quality of playback is not good compared to other VCRs. So if it doesn't bother you too much leave it or otherwise crop it.
    Quote Quote