VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to convert Magnavox 513 recorded DVDs to MP4 files. The software was just upgraded to a new release. With the old release, I used the MP4VIDEO codec and used the default settings, which for Resolution was to "use origin". For Audio, there was only aac.

The Properties of the converted MP4 file shows resolution of 720x540. It also shows stereo audio. (see attachment "Properties - MP4 codec".)

With new release of the software the MP4VIDEO codec runs extremely slowly. Support told me to use the MPEG4VIDEO codec. This codec runs quite fast. However, Properties on the converted files show the resolution at 636x480, with the same default setting "use origin". And the audio does not show it to be stereo. (see attachment "Properties - MPEG4 Codec".) The audio with this codec is MP3 (can't be changed). Win-X Support insists that the MPEG4VIDEO codec is producing stereo audio, notwithstanding what the Properties shows.

Questions:
    1) Can their Support be right, the codec is producing stereo and the Properties is not accurate?
    2) As it is specifying "use origin" for the resolution, could there be some setting in the Mag 513 that changed and therefore recording at a lower resolution? (It could, of course, be a bug in the Win-X codec) And would it be safe for me to manually set the resolution on the conversion (that option is available) to the 720x540 (to get a slightly larger displayed MP4 image) without distorting the MP4 image?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Properties - MP4 Codec.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	47795  

Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use mediainfo to analyse your mp4 file, put it in view>text mode.

Assuming the source DVD uses standard VIDEO_TS folder containing VOB and IFO files,
    they would normally be 720x480. This could be either 4:3 aspect ratio or 16:9.
    Once again, you can use mediainfo to examine the properties of the VOB files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo says the audio is "2 channels" (I expect that means it is stereo though it doesn't use that term). Is Properties always so unreliable to not have the proper audio information? It has it right for the files converted with MP4 codec.

Also, can someone kindly explain why it is showing the file size of 636x480, when I explicitly put in 720x480 in the conversion settings? (Properties shows the same smaller setting). Is this a bug I need to take back to the Win-X software vendor?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Properties - MediaInfo MPEG4 Codec.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	47819  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not familiar with WinX. You could switch to Vidcoder or similar, something the forum users are more familiar with,
    it has proven to be flexible and reliable
    If not, retrace your steps carefully, perhaps you'll find something. Your 2nd graphic in your original post
    show this same size

I expect it's showing 636x480 because it is 636x480 (usually 640x480 is used for a 4/3 aspect ratio)
    Quote Quote