VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Will I see any improvement in performance under Windows 7 64-bit by upgrading RAM from 8GB to 16GB or more? I have an SSD and a HDD with Virtual RAM enabled on the HDD, but I still receive a message that I am running out of RAM sometimes. I don't play games, but I often do multiple tasks, open several browser windows simultaneously, watch videos online etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    Will I see any improvement in performance under Windows 7 64-bit by upgrading RAM from 8GB to 16GB or more? I have an SSD and a HDD with Virtual RAM enabled on the HDD, but I still receive a message that I am running out of RAM sometimes. I don't play games, but I often do multiple tasks, open several browser windows simultaneously, watch videos online etc.
    Check Commit Charge size, if Commit Charge Peak size is higher than your physical RAM size then you should be able to see increase in performance after upgrade.

I use Process Explorer available for free from official Microsoft page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer - tab System Information (Crtl + I) provide this information.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I have 8GB of RAM in my Windows 7 64-bit machine with another 8GB allocated by the system for paging. I multitask in a similar fashion to what you've described. I don't ever see that message. You should definitely find out what processes are hogging your RAM.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Check Commit Charge size, if Commit Charge Peak size is higher than your physical RAM size then you should be able to see increase in performance after upgrade.

I use Process Explorer available for free from official Microsoft page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer - tab System Information (Crtl + I) provide this information.
    Commit Charge Peak is around 12GB.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    Commit Charge Peak is around 12GB.
    So there is a chance that 16GB RAM may solve your problem. Be careful about memory modules selection - some of them may not work in your motherboard - check motherboard manual for recommended modules.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I went from 4 GB to 16GB noticed a big change but I also went from my 32 bit version to my 64 bit version of Windows 7 so that was probably the improvement. Also check your MOBO manual for compatible memory.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have both a 6GB Desktop and a 16GB Desktop, both with Windows 7 64. The 6GB desktop will start to lag when Firefox has been open for awhile and I have Lightroom open too, while my 16GB Desktop will pretty much never runs out of RAM and just workz. I'll be upgrading the 6GB to 8GB soon to help that computer out a bit; I'd upgrade it to 16GB if the mobo supported it.
    Quote Quote